DARS Launches - Dallas Area Rocket Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff, I just may have to look into that. The only thing I have to make that trip worth it is my Nuke on a J. Should be in the 7K range.

Jeff, I just may have to look into that. The only thing I have to make that trip worth it is my Nuke on a J. Should be in the 7K range.

One of the nice thing about Argonia is you can camp on site (cheap) for the 2 day launches and Airfest, which is usually half the fun anyway. They also have a 50K' waiver so you'll have about 43K' of wiggle room on that J flight :headbang: The launch is on November 11-12, they have the wrong dates on the website but they are aware and are going to fix that soon.

I'm about 70/30 on going, if the weather is looking good for that weekend and not too cold I will be 100%. I have an 75mm MD rocket with a loaded M1297W that sims to about 22K' that I need to fly, and Argonia is about the only place that is going to happen.

The high wind forecast is bad enough and I just know one of those stray thundershowers will get us if we try to set up. We will move the October launch to the 28th; it looks much nicer for here. :)

The website will be updated later today.

Grrr sorry guys. This is totally my fault for making it public knowledge I want to fly. Had I never intended to show up, the weather would be perfect.

Yes, very much. There is so much potential for nastiness with that propellant. Think of the booster motor on a 2-stage you could have with a 75 new blue...yikes.
Talk about good timing, Gary just released a test burn of a new 75/2560 SUPER THUNDER MOTOR :dark:

22519039_1580562605299640_7228581713079375958_n.jpg

Last edited:
The high wind forecast is bad enough and I just know one of those stray thundershowers will get us if we try to set up. We will move the October launch to the 28th; it looks much nicer for here. :)

The website will be updated later today.

Well waiting a week got us a brisk day (possible frost on the pumpkin in the morning) :(. And winds out of the north ! :) We'll have one high power pad with a 1010 and a 1515 rail (but not the full trailer). As always, I want to stress the importance of recovering everything we put up, so we keep the cows healthy and happy.

Yesterday was my sons last soccer game so I was resting comfortably, albeit a bit chilly, in a lawn chair yesterday morning admiring the blue sky and light winds all the while knowing there was a launch underway in Gunter :facepalm: and that K impulse was within reach. So, how did it go????

It was good. I got off an H182R and I284W after arriving around 1 PM. PokerJones May have a different opinion, but his Phoenix on a K motor was great. The landing was not so great in the pond [emoji53].

I need some bigger motors though. Know anyone local that can supply some j - k motors?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Wanted to be at the launch, but we timed a race that morning. After being outside from 5:30 am it was time to warm up, and take a nap.

The Phoenix did make a water landing after a nice boost on a K550W. It was finally recovered by tying a 100' of 550 cord to a shackle from my jeep and hooking the shock cord. Grouch and I were going to wait it out (the booster, nosecone and 1/2 the main were floating) because the wind was blowing it toward shore but after about 20 minutes it stopped moving so we had to come up with a plan B. The payload section was completely submerged for well over 30 minutes and the 2 stratologgers inside were still beeping out the altitude! I checked them again today and they work perfectly, hard to believe. Thanks again for the help Jarrett.

20171028_144925.jpg

Screenshot (56).png

No worries Jeff, it was a great flight with a scale landing. All in all a great day to be out playing with toys. I had a great flight on my Nuke with an AT128W to about 4000. The chute release worked perfectly and as usual, install the tracker so you won't have to use it.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

No worries Jeff, it was a great flight with a scale landing. All in all a great day to be out playing with toys. I had a great flight on my Nuke with an AT128W to about 4000. The chute release worked perfectly and as usual, install the tracker so you won't have to use it.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Was that your first visit to Gunter grouch ?

Our November club launch is moving to Sunday the 19th. Another wind forecast re-scheduling.

Weather was great today, although i wasn't feeling that way.... How'd it go out there??

Yesterday was a great day to fly rockets. Very light winds, and very comfortable temps. George flew his X-15 to 3500' or so, popped the main at apogee (not on purpose) and recovered at the pad.

Jeff had another K flight to close to 4000' and Jacob made an appearance.

I got Bob back in the air on a Loki J820. This is an awesome motor for a heavy, draggy rocket. Chute release worked perfectly on the 9' Rocketman chute for a perfect flight.

DSC_4994.jpg

Yesterday was the best flying weather of the year. And I had something else to do ? !?!?! @&$?)$

Yesterday was a great day to fly rockets. Very light winds, and very comfortable temps. George flew his X-15 to 3500' or so, popped the main at apogee (not on purpose) and recovered at the pad.

Jeff had another K flight to close to 4000' and Jacob made an appearance.

I got Bob back in the air on a Loki J820. This is an awesome motor for a heavy, draggy rocket. Chute release worked perfectly on the 9' Rocketman chute for a perfect flight.

A few more pics of the "Bob" flight. That Loki is a Great motor, nice flight Chuck.

Bob launch.jpgBob Landing.jpg

And one of my 4" Black Arrow on a AT K2050ST, becoming one of my favorite motors.

Attachments

• Black Arrow K2050.jpg
    Black Arrow K2050.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I hate my bathroom remodel even more. Glad it was a good flying day, and that many successful flights did occur.

Back