DARKSTAR Ultra, Ultra Extra Lite....Micro ! Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
another Micro Maxx powered Darkstar build is underway.

Motor mount/shockline and body tube have been cut, assembled and installed. Yet another Excellent Fliskit T3 AD something nosecone has been used after a bit of hollowing for the addition of a 90lb kevlar attachment loop.

Last night all six fin 1/64" light ply fin pieces were cut. Hope to get them stack size sanded and attached sometime this week? Not sure I'm gonna stick to the Color scheme.. I've got an Anodized Purple & Yellow metallics I've been dying to try.....stay tuned.

MM 379uc01a_MM T3 Darkstar MMT & body done_05-09-11.JPG

Did a good be more on my T3 Darkstar. Shes coming right along:)

Primer has been applied and sanded. Just waiting for some dryer weather to apply a fairly new "Anodized Look" metallic finish.

MM 379uc02_Installing 3-sets 1-64in Ply fins_05-12-11.JPG

MM 379uc03_Hollow & epoxy kevlar NC loop_05-12-11.JPG

MM 379uc04_Cut & install .063in  Launch Lugs_05-12-11.JPG

MM 379uc05_T3 DarkStar Need epoxy Fillets_05-12-11.JPG

MM 379uc06_MM T3 DarkStar Epoxy Fillets sanded_05-14-11.JPG

Looking good! I have downloaded your drawing for this one and will eventually get to it. I'm thinking about doing it in T2+ for max performance.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Looking good! I have downloaded your drawing for this one and will eventually get to it. I'm thinking about doing it in T2+ for max performance.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Jeff:
I'm not sure your gonna want to downscale it all that much. At T3 as drawn, less paint with 36" x 90lb kevlar shockline and 3/4" x 12" Teflon streamer the MM Darkstar was only 4.3grams. I'm going to go kind of heavy with the paint as I'm trying a fairly NEW to me Specialty Finish that requires a Custom Metallic Base conversion coat. If this stuff works as well as Claimed... it may become my Go to for Candy, Metal Flake and Anodized Aluminum Finish looking Mod-Rocs. Either way even with 8 or 10 heavy coats I don't see the Ewt much over 6 or 7 grams.

To Finish my T3 Darkstar I started by sanding the entire body/NC/fins then used my standard super cheap wal-mart Grey auto primer (3 coats).
Now for the New material. Krylon X-Metals Reflective conversion coating for use on just about any "Non-Metal" substrate. It appears to be a very fine Metallic Flake of some kind more or less "silver" in color.
Color Top coats are Krylon X-Metals transluscent rattle can colors in Red, Green, Blue, Yellow & Purple. for our DarkStar I'm going with Yellow base with Purple top half. The material goes on kind of cloudy, then as it dries it clears to look almost exactly like Anodized aluminum. I waited to see if the yellow cleared (more or less) then sprayed on the purple. So far it's still cloudy but Looks like it's trying to clear? We'll probly have to wait until tomorrow to tell if the purple over yellow will totally clear up? but I'm Likeing what I'm seeing so far:)
In fact if it does clear up and remain as bright as the Yellow seems to be I may not want to put any decals on it LOL...it's just Tooooo predy!!

MM 379uc07_MM DarkStar Grey Primed_05-16-11.JPG

MM 379uc08a_Krylon X-Metal Reflective Prime on_05-17-11.JPG

MM 379uc08b1_MM DarkStar Yellow Anodized_05-17-11.JPG

MM 379uc08b2_MM DarkStar fincan Yellow close_05-17-11.JPG

MM 379uc08c1_MM DarkStar Yellow& Purple Anodized_05-17-11.JPG

Last edited:
Wow! That is sharp! I'm gonna look for some of that paint the next time I'm in the big city.

Wow - that looks amazing Micro. I may have to keep an eye out for some of that paint.

Thanks guys:
The Purple has dried clear, over the yellow it has a bit more redish hue but still stunning in the sunlight! The picture below just doesn't do this stuff justice.

I mentioned I was going to go pretty heavy with the paint on this T3 model which I sort of did. 3 coats of Grey primer sanded, 2 coats of Conversion Silver metallic X-Metals, then two coats of Yellow X-Metals and a final 2 coat application of X-metal purple. With all that this fairly large nearly 11 inch long model has an empty weight of only 6.7g. Man I can't wait to get this one in the air Hopefully this weekend.

Regarding the X-Metals Paints. I've seen the transparent colors..at least a few of them at Micheals. the Conversion undercoat however was nowhere to be found in the state of Maryland/DC or Northern Virginia.
Ended up requesting a vendor from Krylon directly. They sent me to several out of state various "Hardware Stores" usually small mom & pop types, finally found the Conversion Base coat & a good supply of color through a Florida Ace hardware. Had to order a minimum 6 can Case of the basecoat but was able to mix colors to make up another case to get the shipping cost down. It is my understanding Dupli-color has a sort of similar material called MetalCast which is intended for use over shinny metals. Not sure if it has the same results as the X-Metals but Man I'm happy I spent the money for these paints and Base Conversion Silver metallic primer. Very Very KEWL Colors...Amazing in bright sunlight. I did the Cosmic Cluster in X-Metal blue shown below just so you can see another color. Have yet to Open the Red or Green but they should be just as stunning.

MM 379_MM T3 DarkStar_05-17-11.JPG

Attachments

• MM 370_Cosmic Cluster (6 motor)_11-14-10.JPG
    MM 370_Cosmic Cluster (6 motor)_11-14-10.JPG
    346.6 KB · Views: 37
OH Man I love these Paints in the sunlight! Wow do they POP!

Note to self! when you future your micors.... clean out the Launch Lugs BEFORE your out on the field....
Because of a bit of stickyness on the rod, she didn't get nearly the altitude I thought it would...but was still a fine flight:)

Photos just don't do X-Metals dizzle justice. Man it looks just like anodized aluminum outside in the sun.

MM 379Lp01a_DarkStar on pad 1st flt_05-21-11.JPG

MM 379Lp01b_DarkStar Mid Flight_05-21-11.JPG

Back