Darkstar Jr., Fin Fitment

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyrrxa

Reaction score
Picked up a Darkstar Jr. during the black Saturday sale. When going through a dry fit, I found that all eight fins are approx. 1/16 - 1/8in too long for the slots. Is this typical? Extending the slots would be relatively easy, I just wanted to check before I do anything irreversible.

Before you widen the slotts, consider making the fins narrower at the base. It's also visually better. But just my opinion.
Greetings ralf

That makes sense, it just seemed like more material to remove. Thanks

Picked up a Darkstar Jr. during the black Saturday sale. When going through a dry fit, I found that all eight fins are approx. 1/16 - 1/8in too long for the slots. Is this typical? Extending the slots would be relatively easy, I just wanted to check before I do anything irreversible.
Is it both sets ?

My Jr was like that. All 6 slots were a tad short for the fin tabs. It took a few passes on each slot with a round file for a nice tight fit. I'd rather sand or file a few pieces to fit tight than have loose ends for epoxy to leak out anyway.

It looks like taking off the radius on each end of the slot should be sufficient. As NateB said, having a tight fit is nice, and the width of the slot is perfect.

Some double sided tape to align all the fins together, then file or sand some material from the base of the fin to reduce the length. This will keep them all the same length.

I have an oscillating edge sander, I set up a fence/ guide, tape the fins together, and fine tuning the length takes about 5 minutes including all setup.

Back