Darkstar Jr. build question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking to get my level 1 certification using the Darkstar Jr. I got from Wildman for Christmas. Wildman has good instructions with lots of pictures as far as building the motor mount tube and attaching the fins. After that it lacks all detail and has no photos. I've never built a dual deploy rocket before and I don't want to get this wrong. Does anyone know where I can find some DETAILED instructions on how to attach the body tube to the avionics bay to the nosecone and properly store the parachute? I'm also wondering what causes the nosecone to separate from the avionics/payload bay? I've found youtube videos about dual deploy rockets, but no detailed build.

I like Darkstars, I'm building my third right now and used a Darkstar Jr to get my level 1 back in November. For my cert flight, I flew it with the nosecone on the booster and left the payload section and AV bay behind. A CTI H-133 took it to about 1500' with motor deploy and parachute. It was easy and no need to worry about electronics, rivets, shear pins, and BP charges.

With dual deploy, BP charges ignited by the altimeter control the deployment at apogee and whatever altitude you set for the main. The best detailed instructions for a fiberglass, dual deploy are in this thread, stickied in the HPR forum. The Darkstar Jr builds just like the 3" version. A few things about the kits have changed since the thread was written, but it is your best reference.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/how-to-build-a-stock-3in-darkstar-cj-step-by-step.55019/
Ask away with any other questions or clarifications.

I like Darkstars, I'm building my third right now and used a Darkstar Jr to get my level 1 back in November. For my cert flight, I flew it with the nosecone on the booster and left the payload section and AV bay behind. A CTI H-133 took it to about 1500' with motor deploy and parachute. It was easy and no need to worry about electronics, rivets, shear pins, and BP charges.

With dual deploy, BP charges ignited by the altimeter control the deployment at apogee and whatever altitude you set for the main. The best detailed instructions for a fiberglass, dual deploy are in this thread, stickied in the HPR forum. The Darkstar Jr builds just like the 3" version. A few things about the kits have changed since the thread was written, but it is your best reference.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/how-to-build-a-stock-3in-darkstar-cj-step-by-step.55019/
Ask away with any other questions or clarifications.

I like your solution, but what if I do something I heard elsewhere, using the entire rocket, but using epoxy to connect the the payload bay and nosecone. Would the added weight be too much for the motor to cause separation? I wouldn't think so...

Not a good idea to glue any of those parts together if you want to do dual deploy in the future. When you turn the coupler into an avbay, you will need to separate it from the payload tube, and the nosecone also needs to be removable.
Go to the link that Nate B gave you, he is giving you good info.

I wouldn't glue the coupler, payload and nosecone together. I like options for different flights. In fact, when I build a 3" Darkstar, I'm going to build it for single deploy, HED with the booster, and traditional dual deploy.

screws or pins are your friend; to hold / secure the parts together & be removeable later.

Another thing you will soon what to lookup is 'Shear Pins' you'll soon hear a lot on that!

You are also discovering that a lot of high power kits are minimal on instructions, mainly for eh reason that once you get to this level, you've built a few kits. (Spoiler alert: they pretty much all go together the same way! materials and dimensions may change, but it's basically all the same!)

Good luck with your build. Stop, look, try [test fit], think. and when in doubt, come & ask us! (I think a few of us have built a DS! ;) )

And as I always say: it's not a race..

Thank you all for your responses! Seeing as I'm in no hurry to buy avionics and start building black powder charges, I think I'll go with the single deploy option, leaving out the payload bay all together.

Thank you all for your responses! Seeing as I'm in no hurry to buy avionics and start building black powder charges, I think I'll go with the single deploy option, leaving out the payload bay all together.

I recommend building the AV bay with the provided material and capping it. That way the motor only has to pressurize the booster instead of the whole booster/payload volume

Back