Darkstar 2.6 Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidrobo

Reaction score
I finally started building the 2.6" Darkstar I got from Wildman during the Black Days sale. This is my first foray into HPR (along with a Mega Der Red Max with a 38mm motor mount) and I plan on using it for my L1 in April.

I went with the 54mm mmt and an Aeropack retainer and 38-54mm adapter. For recovery I'l be using a couple nylon harnesses from OneBadHawk which look stellar, but I probably don't need to tell you that. Not sure on the parachute yet.

Last weekend I chamfered the fin set. I've read that it wasn't necessary, but I like the way it looks so that's that. Made a little jig that was set at 10 degrees and used a MK Diamond blade.

I only meant to start assembling the motor mount tube last night, but one more small task lead to the next and I pretty much finished it up. Rather and drilling/injecting internal fillets I decided to make little chambers with leftover balsa. I figure I just lay in the same amount of epoxy and set the fin in. I also laid in some 900lbs kevlar cord for connecting the recovery harness. I still make a mess of the glue and I figured I'd make it more evident by mixing in some red dye.

Does anyone have an ORK file for the 2.6"? I hacked one together, but I'm still not that great with the software.

2016-01-16 17.33.40.jpg

2016-01-17 08.52.28.jpg

2016-01-23 02.13.37.jpg

View attachment Darkstar_26.ork

That J145 is one popular motor.

Wait, does the 2.6 inch version not come with beveled fins? Maybe that is one of the sizes where there are multiple fin options.

I finally started building the 2.6" Darkstar I got from Wildman during the Black Days sale. This is my first foray into HPR (along with a Mega Der Red Max with a 38mm motor mount) and I plan on using it for my L1 in April.

I went with the 54mm mmt and an Aeropack retainer and 38-54mm adapter. For recovery I'l be using a couple nylon harnesses from OneBadHawk which look stellar, but I probably don't need to tell you that. Not sure on the parachute yet.

Last weekend I chamfered the fin set. I've read that it wasn't necessary, but I like the way it looks so that's that. Made a little jig that was set at 10 degrees and used a MK Diamond blade.

I only meant to start assembling the motor mount tube last night, but one more small task lead to the next and I pretty much finished it up. Rather and drilling/injecting internal fillets I decided to make little chambers with leftover balsa. I figure I just lay in the same amount of epoxy and set the fin in. I also laid in some 900lbs kevlar cord for connecting the recovery harness. I still make a mess of the glue and I figured I'd make it more evident by mixing in some red dye.

Does anyone have an ORK file for the 2.6"? I hacked one together, but I'm still not that great with the software.

Nice fin pockets, I will be doing the same thing on my L3 build, makes internal filleting easier.

Here's the file I made for my DarkStar 2.6. It has a few extras in it (weight comp for using a 2 grain motor in a 3 grain case with a spacer, tons of stuff in the avionics bay, nose cone tracker bay). It's within 150' for the J145 I few in it back in November to 4787'.

Great use of the Estes retainer. I will have to borrow that for some other tricks I have in mind.

Wait, does the 2.6 inch version not come with beveled fins? Maybe that is one of the sizes where there are multiple fin options.

Yes- the thicker fins (which i have on mine) were beveled already.

The thinner fin version I have came with square fins. I made a 60° shooting board with the table saw out of some 2x laying around the shop to get a consistent bevel on them.

That J145 is one popular motor.

The kit I got with the 3/32" had square fins. I didn't see any options, but maybe I could have asked for beveled fins.

Here's the file I made for my DarkStar 2.6. It has a few extras in it (weight comp for using a 2 grain motor in a 3 grain case with a spacer, tons of stuff in the avionics bay, nose cone tracker bay). It's within 150' for the J145 I few in it back in November to 4787'.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/openrocket-wildman-rocketry-dark-star-26.html

That is an awesome nose cone! I might have to put my der red max retainer to use.

Nice fin pockets, I will be doing the same thing on my L3 build, makes internal filleting easier.

I can't be sure because I've never done the drill and fill, but this was stupid easy and I'll probably do it again next time.

I got the front fin set on using a little jig I made at work on the laser cutter. I need to get better with the epoxy and use tape more... Or just stop rushing myself. It came out alright.

Going to try to get the first rear fin on tonight using a piece of aluminum angle and some clamps.

Has anyone made a vent band for this guy? I was considering cutting an inch or so off the payload bay with a hack saw. Is there a better method? Main reason being that I'd like to use a pull pin switch to arm the electronics and feel like this would be a lot easier.

Attachments

• 2016-01-23 21.34.33.jpg
    2016-01-23 21.34.33.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 57
Back