Dark Star Lite build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim,

Did I miss something, or did you not inject internal fillets on this one like you do for most Wildman kits?

I'm building one now in my workshop and set up for injection of internal fillets (note semicircles in attached pic) which I hope to get done tonight.

-Tim

Tim
A. Didn't want to over complicate the build for first time glass kit buyers. If you have never done it before, most tend to overcompensate and put way too much in.

B. you really need a good quality thin epoxy like West etc. to inject, which really jacks up the cost . You can do it thinned hobby epoxy, but again that requires experience.

C,. figured the experienced guys like you would build it like they want.

Ya I noticed that [1/2 holes] makes for a much neater job, doesn't it. Since your injecting the internals, save some weight, just use teeny, tiny ones on the outside. It's only a 29mm.

Make sure to post your finished job. I'm working on making the decals available soon.

Jim,

Great build sequence and descriptions.

Did you epoxy the MMT to the airframe or did you rely on the fins to hold it in?

I swear I read this over twice and didn't see a step for epoxying the MMT.

Maybe its late and I should look again tomorrow.
Good stuff here, thanks.

Wm.

Jim,

Great build sequence and descriptions.

Did you epoxy the MMT to the airframe or did you rely on the fins to hold it in?

I swear I read this over twice and didn't see a step for epoxying the MMT.

Maybe its late and I should look again tomorrow.
Good stuff here, thanks.

Wm.

Look at post # 25. You can see the front and rear CR have darkened quite a bit from epoxy. When I did the rear set I let the excess from tacking run to the back. When tacking the front tipped it forward to let excess flow that way.
Not really necessary to add a step to epoxy them in. I was very generous with the epoxy. I actually "double dipped" [tacked once, removed fin, added more to root, tacked permanently]
With 6 fins and only 29mm there is not a problem.

For those that are building or going to build a DS lite. A shortened version of this thread has been turned into a down loadable PDF manual here at WildMans:

https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/default.asp?groupid=1&groupid1=612121482&prodid=347009698789639

Very nice. I have a kit here under construction for the Tripoli Indiana ThunderStruck drag race, this will be very helpful :D

One note: would it be possible to update the instructions (and the website) to spell the good Dr. Von Karman's name correctly? Carmen is an opera...

Very nice. I have a kit here under construction for the Tripoli Indiana ThunderStruck drag race, this will be very helpful :D

One note: would it be possible to update the instructions (and the website) to spell the good Dr. Von Karman's name correctly? Carmen is an opera...

Thank you for pointing that out. I hate it when a name is misspelled . I've notified the powers that be, now it's up to them.

Last edited:
Make sure to post your finished job. I'm working on making the decals available soon.

O.K., well here it is finished (still needs final sanding and a clear coat, but close...). I went with a retro-teal color with black tip highlights and red-orange "visibility" band (for some reason the pictures seem to have a white line on the front of the red-orange band--this must be flash glare as it isn't there in "real life"). The orange and black are meant to tie together with the retainer (PML Hamr) and Rocketman parachute upgrades (both shown).

DSL1.jpg

DSL2.jpg

DSL3.jpg

DSL4.jpg

Back