Dare Devil Flat Earther Dies in Rocket Crash

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure how I feel about this. I hate to see anyone die especially so violently in front of family and friends but then...But then putting yourself inside a steam powered rocket built by what I assume are amateurs - what do you expect? Can't say I am surprised.

It is sad. I don't think he ever had a chance to get close to space and his project looked like more of a circus act than anything else. Anyone present was probably not prepared to witness what they saw and another article said they might have been filming for a show on Discovery.

Is he the same guy who tried a stunt a few years ago trying to prove flat earth?

Same guy, same steam powered rocket that always sounded underpowered. He got funding from flat earthers, but I never bought that part of his story. He made the claim he wanted to fly high enough to get pictures of the disc shaped Earth, but I'm skeptical of his motives.

Yeah, im mixed. For a man who didnt believe in science or engineering because "thats all just formulas", im not entirely surprised.

Im not leaving out the option this is a publicity stunt

The link has video of the launch. Looks like he blew his chute out the back of the 'rocket' at launch and it ripped away. The rocket continued to fly up, arced over and came in ballistic. There doesn't appear to have been an 'event' at apogee. I wonder if the recovery plan was popping the chute out the back for landing and I also wonder if there was a backup chute.

A previous launch show a parachute ejecting out of the rear near apogee with a second close (too close) to landing. It isn't clear to me of the second was a backup since he was coming in hot or if it was part of his recovery plan.

The video linked from today didn't show anything happening after the rocket arced over and started the descent.

xgdZ8MJrA117iK216
But the real question is...is it too soon to hand out the 2020 Darwin Award?
https://images.app.goo.gl/xgdZ8MJrA117iK216

The link has video of the launch. Looks like he blew his chute out the back of the 'rocket' at launch and it ripped away. The rocket continued to fly up, arced over and came in ballistic. There doesn't appear to have been an 'event' at apogee. I wonder if the recovery plan was popping the chute out the back for landing and I also wonder if there was a backup chute.

Would not want to be that chute vendor.

Last edited:
I know a lot about this project, but not much on the recovery side, I know he made his own chutes in the past, as well as military chutes, with every time having them rip. To me the chute is colored, it almost looks like one of those kid chutes. It’s a sad deal, I’ve known mike all my life and know everyone on the team. Well he didn’t believe in science...

Attachments

• 9CFFFF23-D7C7-4727-94C8-26DD5D02CE33.png
    9CFFFF23-D7C7-4727-94C8-26DD5D02CE33.png
    381.8 KB · Views: 177
  • 01C194C3-47AA-436B-B188-69387E1E30B2.jpeg
    01C194C3-47AA-436B-B188-69387E1E30B2.jpeg
    18 KB · Views: 182
How many test flights were done prior to placing a human in that vehicle?
This vehicle has been flown 4 times, it has gotten a new skin but same engine. The first time it was sitting on the ramp, and took off while someone was working on it, took his legs out and wrecked it. 2nd flight it descended way too fast, and Mike got a broken back, 3rd time worked good, 2nd chute deployed late but was fine, and this was the 4th. I didn’t get what the point was, there was no way to increase the performance of that engine, it’s just a breather tank out of a B-52 bomber, there was no reason for him to attempt it again. This was the 5th try of the 4th jump, they’ve been going back and forth for many months trying to get the plunger (valve) to work, as the pressure was against it and wouldn’t open.

I agree on the publicity stunt possibility. Time will tell. I wish him no ill, but his antics do more harm than good.

From: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mad-mi...h-theorist-killed-in-rocket-crash-2020-02-22/
Although police did not positively identify Hughes, San Bernardino County Sheriff-Coroner Public Information Officer Cindy Bachman said Saturday in a statement, "A man was pronounced deceased after the rocket crashed in the open desert during a rocket launch event. Medical aid was staged for the launch and was on scene immediately."

Reinhard

This vehicle has been flown 4 times, it has gotten a new skin but same engine. The first time it was sitting on the ramp, and took off while someone was working on it, took his legs out and wrecked it. 2nd flight it descended way too fast, and Mike got a broken back, 3rd time worked good, 2nd chute deployed late but was fine, and this was the 4th. I didn’t get what the point was, there was no way to increase the performance of that engine, it’s just a breather tank out of a B-52 bomber, there was no reason for him to attempt it again. This was the 5th try of the 4th jump, they’ve been going back and forth for many months trying to get the plunger (valve) to work, as the pressure was against it and wouldn’t open.

So you're telling me it flew once out of three times without causing rather significant bodily injury and that's the vehicle he entrusted his life to?

I have no words.

Back