DAP Plastic wood filler

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OG1959

Reaction score
I've been using this DAP PlasticWood filler on a couple of models and I really like it! It works quite well to fill balsa fins if you apply and work in a good thick layer then scrape it off with an artist's palette knife or a putty knife. I've also used it to fill the spiral seams on body tubes. It's very lightweight, sounds very easy, and dries fast. It goes on pink when it's dry it turns light tan.

This morning I 3D printed a small spatula to apply it to a body tube with a minimal amount of extra left over to sand off. I used it recently on a Baby Bertha and the seams just disappeared.

IMG_rlav3h.jpgIMG_20210807_113634730_HDR.jpgIMG_20210804_191911033.jpg

Finished sanding the fillets on the Protostar I'm working on. I used the same DAP wood filler here. This is with two coats Krylon primer. First coat sanded, second coat not sanded yet. I still have a few places where I need to fill wood grain, sand, prime and do a final sand before paint.
The fins and pods are glued on with CA glue then a four step process to build up and sand the fillets.
Very pleased with the results. :)

proto fillets 1.jpg

proto fillets 2.jpg

Are you thinning the DAP with water? I've been using the Elmer's Wood Filler thinned with water so curious how the DAP works.

Are you thinning the DAP with water? I've been using the Elmer's Wood Filler thinned with water so curious how the DAP works.
I’ve used various latex based fillers and patch compounds along with the typical Elmer’s CWF - both straight from the tub and thinned - and they all work about the same. The stuff I avoid is any with added fibers or if it has a sandy texture or any that aren’t water soluble/latex based. Some have worked a bit better than others but mostly about the same.

Back