Dan's Semroc Scout

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Dan got a couple new Semroc kits today; the first one he wanted to build is his Scout. So, here are pictures, in order, of the progress.

Right now, we're at the "wait for glue to dry" stage, so this is it for day 1.

-Kevin

dan1.jpg

dan2.jpg

dan3.jpg

dan4.jpg

dan5.jpg

Two more pictures from today, since I can only put 5 per message....

-Kevin

dan6.jpg

dan7.jpg

Wow, if he can actually sit and wait for glue to dry. He's got WAY more patience than me!:roll:

Looks like he's doing a thorough job. Should be a fun rocket!

Wow, if he can actually sit and wait for glue to dry. He's got WAY more patience than me!:roll:

He's better than his dad is about that, that's for sure!

"Okay, Dan, now we have to let it sit until tomorrow so the glue can dry."
"Okay" and off he goes to do something else.

Me? I'd be starting another rocket, or figuring out a way to work faster on this one!

He does well. The biggest challenge is understanding what the instructions tell him sometimes -- while he can read the word "parallel," he doesn't know what it means.

-Kevin

I concur, I have no patience whatsoever, so typicly when I have enough of the stuff, I use CyA throughout the entire build :D

I concur, I have no patience whatsoever, so typicly when I have enough of the stuff, I use CyA throughout the entire build :D

ScrapDaddy:
In 6 or 8 months from now you CA'ed togethered models will start falling apart. CA becomes extremely brittle with just a little age. Go back and fillet the fins on any model you built strictly with CA with some other glue or you'll soon regret not doing so. CA is fine for quicky 3 flight competition models but if you plan on keeping models around use much better glue and adhesives Choices.;)

OBTW using the double glue joint method with just about any "Glue" (Elmer's white, Carpenters yellow or brown, Titebond-I,II or III, even Ambroid cement) applied in very thin layers really speeds up the tac and dry times with these glues.

Last edited:
What great photos! I love the one of him and the instruction sheet. How old is your son? I'm guessing 6. Nothing like rocketry to bring a family together!

What great photos! I love the one of him and the instruction sheet. How old is your son? I'm guessing 6. Nothing like rocketry to bring a family together!

Yep, he's six. Built his first rocket at 3; a FlisKits Thing-a-ma-jig. That one he did pretty much himself (he could read the instructions at 3).

-Kevin

Yep, he's six. Built his first rocket at 3; a FlisKits Thing-a-ma-jig. That one he did pretty much himself (he could read the instructions at 3).

-Kevin

Smart kid.

I'm overly proud when my kids want to go fly with me, one's 5 and has been on quite a few launches, the other is two and likes to hold and fly a rocket in the living room.

Today, the fins!

The first order of business is sanding them. I did a lot of it, but Dan started it -- he understands what to do, but how to do it is a bit tough for him, yet.

We've also started gluing fins; we're using the "double gluing" technique. No pictures of that, as he needs help, to get them lined up, and, well, I can either help, or I can take pictures.... :) Obviously, I need to grow another hand!

Dan did ask when we'll be able to launch it. I asked if he wanted to paint it first, or not. His answer? "Yes, but make sure you have golden paint, because it's a Golden Scout!"

-Kevin

dan8.jpg

Okay, the "double gluing" technique works beautifully, especially when using Titebond II! Dan put a thin film on, then we set it aside to dry for about an hour, came back, applied another thin film, and it grabbed fast!

This allowed all three fins to go on tonight, in addition to the launch lug. Tomorrow is fillet time.

-Kevin

Where in the world would civilization be if not for the invention of wax paper?

Kevin,

Enjoy every minute of building with Dan because these great times pass way, way too fast.

It seems like just yesterday that I was posting about Emma's Razor.

I can only wish that model rocketry will be as much fun for you and Dan as it's been for my daughter and me.

That's a great looking Scout, by the way!

Steve

EmThenNnow.jpg

Enjoy every minute of building with Dan because these great times pass way, way too fast.

I hear ya!

Dan is my youngest, of four. The older three tolerate rockets, but have no real interest in them. Dan is the only one for whom it's really caught on.

Needless to say, I do a lot to encourage it. :)

-Kevin

Where in the world would civilization be if not for the invention of wax paper?

I know for a fact that my wife would've put parts of civilization places that I don't want them, because I'd have gotten glue on things that shouldn't have glue on them..... :y:

-Kevin

Great Job Kevin & Dan;
Must agree completely with Gus! All mine are now grown, gone with kids of their own. and generally WAY to far away to be Granddads recovery crew LOL!!!!

I hear ya!

Dan is my youngest, of four. The older three tolerate rockets, but have no real interest in them. Dan is the only one for whom it's really caught on.

Needless to say, I do a lot to encourage it. :)

-Kevin

Too bad your family isn't closer to us... arrange a marriage between Dan and Hannah and we'll secure the future of private space exploration. At least in theory. ;)

Too bad your family isn't closer to us... arrange a marriage between Dan and Hannah and we'll secure the future of private space exploration. At least in theory. ;)

There are days I'd gladly ship Dan to you.... :p

Of course, my guess is there are days you'd gladly ship Hannah off, too!

-Kevin

Awesome, pics! I love building with my Nephew and nieces, and I can't wait till my son is old enough. He will be 2 in June. I could barely read the latest Sport Rocketry with him around. He'd grab it and go "a rocket" "2, 9, 2, 9 whoosh"

ScrapDaddy:
In 6 or 8 months from now you CA'ed togethered models will start falling apart. CA becomes extremely brittle with just a little age. Go back and fillet the fins on any model you built strictly with CA with some other glue or you'll soon regret not doing so. CA is fine for quicky 3 flight competition models but if you plan on keeping models around use much better glue and adhesives Choices.;)

OBTW using the double glue joint method with just about any "Glue" (Elmer's white, Carpenters yellow or brown, Titebond-I,II or III, even Ambroid cement) applied in very thin layers really speeds up the tac and dry times with these glues.

I have learn about this :D what I do now is I use gorrila wood glue to tack the Fins on, and fillet quickly with CyA, this allows the fin to be held steady while the wood glue dries, and when the CyA dries, I fillet with alternating layers of CyA and wood glue.

I have learn about this :D what I do now is I use gorrila wood glue to tack the Fins on, and fillet quickly with CyA, this allows the fin to be held steady while the wood glue dries, and when the CyA dries, I fillet with alternating layers of CyA and wood glue.

Use thick CA to tack the fins on -- it gives you a couple seconds to wiggle the fin into position, if you're impatient. Or, use the "double-glue" method, which works as well, but doesn't get brittle.

Do your fillets only with the wood glue -- when you use the CA for fillets, it fills the pores, which keeps the wood glue from penetrating, and thus reducing its ability to create a strong bond.

Use only white glue or wood glue for the fillets.

-Kevin

Man I wish I could do a paint job like that! :)

You can.

That's nothing more than 3 coats of a sandable grey primer, followed by light sanding with 200 sand paper, a couple more coats of the grey primer, followed by another light sanding, then Rustoleum gold paint.

-Kevin

You can.

That's nothing more than 3 coats of a sandable grey primer, followed by light sanding with 200 sand paper, a couple more coats of the grey primer, followed by another light sanding, then Rustoleum gold paint.

-Kevin

Unlike Dan, I still have that urge to get her done in one coat, it's soo hard to resist, usualy ends up in foiling the paint.

Back