Dang OSSLT!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GL-P

Reaction score
I have a grade 10 literacy test tomorrow. I need to pass it to get my high school diploma. If I fail, I can take it next year with all the embarrassment. I'm a good student (83% avg.) but I'm freaking out. I'm usually great at tests but I'm thinking too much about the test to relax. Any suggestionson how to relax?

You don't seem to have much of any trouble with literacy. You can spell, you can write complete sentences (that make sense), you can construct a good paragraph.

Doesn't look to me like you have much to worry about. You'll do fine!

Thanks!

I can read, and write very well :)D) but my concern is the detail level required for the writing section. The government expects to the end of the line answers(Time to write reall large! :p). The sample questions for writing are sometimes 3 pages long! I like to simplify my answers a lot and tend to write too little. I guess I'll have to work on that. :D

Just my normal freak out period. At least it's spread over 2 days. I'll reply to this thread when I get home tomorrow. Need lots of sleep!

I figure talking about it to no one in particular will help me calm down a little. :D

Do this.

Think of all the people dumber than you that have passed this test.

You will do just fine.:)

Originally posted by sandman
Do this.

Think of all the people dumber than you that have passed this test.

You will do just fine.:)

Good advice! Just be careful, because it sounds like you are calling this person dumb.

I have a grade 10 literacy test tomorrow. I need to pass it to get my high school diploma. If I fail, I can take it next year with all the embarrassment. I'm a good student (83% avg.) but I'm freaking out. I'm usually great at tests but I'm thinking too much about the test to relax. Any suggestionson how to relax?

Well, for starters, get a good night's sleep and eat breakfast in the morning (perferably something not loaded with refined sugar). And, if you get nervous during the test, try to mentally meditate (I learned this in a yoga book). Repeat something like, "I am calm and relaxed. Everything is going to be alright" over and over in your head. I personally prefer repeating, "Breathe in. Breathe out" just for the fact that it forces me to control my breathing (slowing it down when I am nervous).
Another thing you might want to try is controlled breathing. Breathe through your mouth (jaws closed (and relaxed with the lips opened) and tongue behind your top front teeth) to the count of 7. Hold for seven seconds and exhale through your nose for seven seconds (I find that I exhale longer). And, if you get dizzy, please quit doing it. But, this helps regulate your breathing by forcing you to use the five quart lung compacity that you have (if you notice, most people are shallow breathers).
Above all, just realize that everyone gets neverous before a test. And, everyone is right, you will do GREAT! Good luck on the test.

Originally posted by GL-P

Relaxing isn't necessarily the best way for you to handle it, or else you wouldn't be freaking out. Some people use the stress to focus on doing well. Some focus it on the bad things that can happen and that helps them put it out of their mind when the time comes to perform. A god example of the latter sort of coping is David Letterman. He's a very nice guy, but when it comes to prepping for the show (and immediately after it) he's extremely hard to get along with, and is very negative. In between, on stage, he's competely relaxed and does just fine.

I finished half of it today and the next half comes tomorrow. The reading part is easy but the opionion piece topic was: Is a pet a good thing for a person to have?

It was three pages long and the most boring time of my life. What a dry topic!:D

I had a good sleep (9-6:30) and ate a decent breakfast. (eggs) I relaxed and thought of the treat we were going to get at break (Timbits!!!) I took my time but made sure I finished every question. Not too bad. the next biggest hurdle is waiting for the letter to come back with a pass or a fail. I can do well when I'm a little stressed but not too much. I preferred to be relaxed.

P.S. A number of people with much less brain displacements have passed the examination! :D

The best bit of advice I ever took into my exams, if you find an exam hard you can bet everyone else doing it is finding it hard too.

Originally posted by Mike
I give, what are timbits?

Canadian donut holes. They are sold at Tim Horton's; a donut, coffee and sandwich shop that has locations all across Canada (at least the provinces I travel to, BC, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec)

Canadian donut holes. They are sold at Tim Horton's; a donut, coffee and sandwich shop that has locations all across Canada (at least the provinces I travel to, BC, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec)

They are part of a Canadian's diet as well as moose, poutine, beaver,and beer!!!:D :D :D

Don't find no better food than in the boonies!!!:D :D :D

Back