Dallas-Fort Worth team wins TARC 2011 and a trip to the Paris Air Show

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n5wd

Reaction score
from rocketcontest.org

May 14, 2011

A team from Rockwall-Heath High School in Heath, Tex., took first place at the ninth annual Team America Rocketry Challenge (TARC) finals Saturday afternoon, besting 99 teams from across the country to earn the title of national champion.

Rockwall-Heath joined more than 600 participating teams in September 2010 on a journey that included rocketry design, simulated flights and test launches. Sponsored by the Aerospace Industries Association and the National Association of Rocketry, the contest encourages students to prepare for careers in the aerospace industry, which is working to boost the pipeline of students with science, technology, engineering and math skills.

“This contest is why I’m going into aerospace,” said team president John Easum, who is attending Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in the fall. “It's hands-on, and you experience a lot of failures, but then you troubleshoot and end up with success. It's a really good feeling.”

The first place team logged a 16.0, earning the best score of the competition. Each three- to 10-person team was challenged to design and build a rocket that lifted off to exactly 750 feet during a 40- to 45-second flight. The payload, a raw egg, had to return to the ground by parachute undamaged.

Lambert High School from Suwanee, Ga., and Harmony Magnet Academy from Strathmore, Calif., tied for second place with a score of 23.0.

Rockwall-Heath, located in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, sent two teams to the final flyoff this year. In addition to Easum, the championship team is comprised of seniors Michael Gerritsen and Colt McNally and junior Landon Fisher.

“We’re delighted with this year’s competition,” said AIA President and CEO Marion C. Blakey. “It’s clear that all the teams put a lot of effort into their rockets. I’m sure that in just a few short years, we’ll be welcoming a number of today’s participants to our industry.”

More than 50,000 students have entered the competition since TARC’s inception in 2003. In a 2010 survey of TARC alumni, 92 percent of participants said they would encourage a friend to pursue a STEM-related career and four out of five respondents said TARC has had a positive impact on their course of study.

Raytheon Company is a major sponsor, providing event support and funding for the Rockwall-Heath team to advance to the international fly-off on June 24 at the Paris Le Bourget Air Show to compete against teams from the UK and France. The winning team shares a prize pool of more than $60,000 in scholarships and prizes with other top finishers, including $15,000 in scholarships from Lockheed Martin Corporation. The top 20 teams also will receive an invitation from NASA to participate in its Student Launch Initiative, an advanced rocketry design program.

The Defense Department; NASA; the American Association of Physics Teachers, Estes – a model rocket manufacturer – and more than 33 industry partners also support the contest.

Complete competition results and high-resolution images are available at www.rocketcontest.org.

That doesn't happen to be your team, does it? :rolleyes:

No, Bryce - They're across on the other side of the Metroplex from us.

Our team only had one member that was able to make the trip (pesky UIL - University Interscholastic League eligibility rules), and while she managed to overcome a lot of difficulties (two igniters that smoked, but not ignition, and changing the motor), she wound up with a great flight (748' feet and a time that was almost in the magic alloted time), but had some bad luck when the two chutes got tangled, and the rocket parts came down together - a DQ for the contest.

But, still got bragging rights to Rockwall-Heath, since they're one of the three teams my club (DARS - Dallas Area Rocket Society) helped with a financial contribution to.... gotta support the local teams!

Sorry about that, I assumed it was yours. As long as everyone had fun. At least you qualified.... thats more than I could say for my team.

Look forward to meeting the TARC Team in Paris.
I mentored three teams in the UK version of TARC; UKAYRoC.
The two that made it to the finals came first and fourth.
The winning team scored 8 points, and it was a windy day, so they had to mod the rocket on the day to take the wind into consideration.

However, we've now found out that in the international finals have to use rails, and not a 6mm rod, and we can't use the ingition system of quick match. My team is re building their two rockets to take that into consideration.

Congratulations to Rockwall-Heath , it was a great day at TARC, lots of good flights and only a few DQ's - can't wait for next year!

does anyone know when next year's challenge details will be made public?

last year they told the UKAYRoC aims (same as TARC) at the ukayRoc finals in June, although you could not register a team until September.

Trip has sent an email out saying that the rules for 2012 will be out towards the end of July

Congrats to this years winners! Have fun in Paris!

This years TARC was a little different then last years. The cloud deck was between 600 & 800 ft. but at least the wind was less. A lot of flights disappeared and were spotted on the chutes on the way down. It rained on my drive out and quit when I was 5 miles away. It looked like it would rain all day but it never did. Got lucky there.

Some teams didn't get as lucky. I heard one team had a score of zero and broke their egg getting it out of the rocket for inspection so ended up with a DQ. That had to really hurt.

Of course our HP demo flights got canceled too. Al Gloer got to fly his Stealth on a J90, but that was the only HP demo flight of the day. Even that disappeared into the clouds from the crowds perspective, although we could see it the whole flight from out at the HP pads.

Hopefully it will be clear skys and calm winds next year.

Back