D40

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP
Reaction score
Here's a pic of my 13 mm D40 motor and what's in it.
Top to bottom:
case
liner tube
closures, nozzle, O-rings
Propellant, 4 grains and a solid delay grain
The rocket I usually fly these in since Gnomes are gone. It only weighs 4 grams.

No its not! Its 13MM for cryin out loud, thats almost as small as they make em!:D Though it is pretty long.... I couldent load the thrust curve. is this something you made yourself or is there someplace I can buy this thing???:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Originally posted by Rocketjunkie
The rocket I usually fly these in since Gnomes are gone.

I can't think very many 13mm (or 18mm) rockets that would NOT head for Mars if powered by a little monster like this.

Where in the heck did you find this motor? Is this a home-made job?

D40... Got it. High thrust. short burn. physically SMALL. BIG thrust compared to other motors that size. It still aint an N2000!:D *THAT* is big!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Originally posted by powderburner
I can't think very many 13mm (or 18mm) rockets that would NOT head for Mars if powered by a little monster like this.

Where in the heck did you find this motor? Is this a home-made job?

These are EX motors that I've been making for a couple years. I also make C20's, 2" shorter. A Gnome will go 1000 mph on a D40 and survive once, usually loses the fins the second flight.

How much do you want for a dozen of those puppies and a case?:cool: are you planning on selling????

Originally posted by Neil
How much do you want for a dozen of those puppies and a case?:cool: are you planning on selling????

Sorry, there is no way I can ship propellant. Also, it's an interesting area whether I can sell them legally. If they were over 62g, I know I can't since I don't have a LEMP. Under 62g ???
I only have 1 D40 case now but lots of C20 cases and nozzles. I have sold cases and nozzles in the past along with instructions on how to make the propellant. It will be a while before I get the CNC lathe out of storage and set up to make more cases.

Geesh rocketjunkie, you have WAAAAAY too many cool toys if you keep your CNC lathe in storage :D

no kidding! Everyone has more powertools than I do! waaaaaaaah! :p ;) :( A CNC lathe? how did you score *THAT*? theres gotta be a story here...:rolleyes:

Im guessing about .5 seconds... Why? My computer wont load te thrust curve...:mad:

Imagine a Fatboy on 12 of 'em! I guess rocketjunkie only claims to have used C20s tho.

Whats the point in that being a reload? You put it in any small 13mm rocket and you wont see it again! :p

Practice on the CNC before you make your P class casing? Actually, I vote for the 'cool factor', which in this case is off the charts IMHO.

Originally posted by WiK
Whats the point in that being a reload? You put it in any small 13mm rocket and you wont see it again! :p

Actually, I get them back almost half of the time :)

Originally posted by rstaff3
Practice on the CNC before you make your P class casing? Actually, I vote for the 'cool factor', which in this case is off the charts IMHO.

I kept the CNC lathe when I sold the rest of the business. The 13 mm motors are reloads since I had the materials (and CNC lathe) on hand. The P motor is a fiberglass cased SU motor, intended for altitude.

Here's some pics:
https://www.tripolisc.org/modules/xgallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album07&page=2

Originally posted by WiK

Think about it... a Mosquito warps off the pad with a A10-0T...

A stretched mosquito will enter warp on a D40...

Does the motor have a delay or ejection charge?

Originally posted by n3tjm
Does the motor have a delay or ejection charge?

Yes. As made, the delay is 13 seconds and may be cut down as needed. (Cutting the propellant end of the delay grain adds 1 N-s for every 3 seconds the delay is shortened.)

That is an awesome D - I have a J motor that is kind of the same, it is a J 1383, only burns for about .7 seconds. If it burned any longer it wouldn't be a J :) Nice work...

Holy cow! what diameter is that J? Thats quite the thing.... How does it fly?

It is 1" diameter. Flies great! Go to my site and go under Engines - J1383

Someone needs to buy me a burial plot... I cant take it! 1" diameter!? as in 24MM!? a J!? 24" long, but still...

Wait a sec! I just looked at your rockets... I bet you get this alot... WHY DO YOU HAVE CARDBOARD FINS ON THOSE THINGS!?:p ;) :confused: You fly these things on *WHAT* motors!? Js? Ls?

Now *THAT* is rockets on a budget!;)

Did you check the flights - they fly alright too :) The Zerrubabbel flights are the best.

Edward

OK. You got me here. You fly Js with cardboard fins? and they WORK? Coooooooolllll..... Im not about to start trying this yet.... Still sounds just a *little* dangerous to me...:eek:

At the Nov launch in O'Burg, I believe I saw the smaller 18mm version that you had passed on to Jim Mitchell...He said he was going to play with it a little, I think I'll drop him a line and see if he might duplicate it a couple of times. Kinda resembles Stuart Leslie's 1/2" candy reloadable...

Back