D powered estes outlander

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Fisher

Reaction score
Can anyone out there who has an outlander tell me if it can be modified for D engines? 200 ft. on the 18mm mount just doesn't sound that impressive.

I have an Outlander, although I haven't built it yet, but I was considering doing the same thing. Just slap a "D" mm in it and if it seems a little heavy at the bottom add a little clay in the nose. I don't think that will be a problem at all. I did the same thing with my Fat boy, and I didn't even add weight in the nose cone and it flies great.

I'm just starting on one, and am going to try to upgrade it so it can fly on the Estes E9's. It appears to be a rather simple modification.

Rob, do a search on the Outlander, and in one of the threads, I think it was Stevem, that modified his for 24mm.

May have to try that myself. It looks like a fun kit, and I have a 24mm motor tube left over from my uprated Saturn V.

I too have an Outlander. I flew it on a C6-3 and I don't think I got 200 feet out of it, maybe 125-150 feet tops and it deployed the chute about 50-75 feet above the ground. Certainly a nail-biting experience watching that thing divebomb towards the ground.

It also needs a bigger chute. The 18 inch chute provided is too small. It landed HARD!!! Fortunately, the only damage done was to one leg housing that was easily repaired. I found that there is room in the body tube for a 24 inch chute but I haven't tried it yet.

As for D motors, I think that perhaps the D13-4W would be a good choice assuming that you stick with the 18mm mount but I think the D24-4T would be just a bit much for the legs and side tanks to handle.

Has anyone here tried the D13-4W yet?

Donald -

I couldn't find a review at EMRR... would you happen to be working on one?

S..

Hi Bushrat

I am thinking about doing a review but I want to fly mine once more because I changed the chute from an 18 inch to a 24 inch but the winds have been too strong here in South Florida to launch a rocket like that. I only reccommend launching the Outlander when the wind is dead still of if there is a very light breeze.

I'm sure sooner or later someone will post a review on EMRR. If you are thinking about buying the kit, I'd say go ahead and pick it up if you can get a reasonable price for it. My hobby shop sells them for $16.99 each, yours may vary.

Good luck:)

I've had the unbuilt kit for over a month (next on my build list).
My method for rocket building has really changed since I discovered this forum and EMRR. Longer shock cords, nice smooth fillets, better masking, etc. - and I've made it a habit to check out the reviews at EMRR for model-specific tidbits before I open the package. This is of course, after browsing TRF for ideas and pics, gathering info to help me decide which one to build next.
So - if you ever get around to writing a review, I will definitely check it out! Maybe I'll give it a go myself someday. who knows...

S..

I built mine for a D right from the start - good thing too because first flight was on a C11-3 and it did not do well at all.
No way an 18mm engine woiuld fly this (at least the way I have mine built)

This thing was made for a D engine!!

see this thread

If using the recommended C6-3, did you use the newer "good clay" nozzle version or the older "Poopy clay" nezzle version and was it flown from a 3 foot or 4 foot long steel launch rod?

I'm guessing it should fly better than a Venus Probe or Exoskell on a C6-3 since it should weigh less, but it should also need the longer rod or launching in calm weather only.

many of the newer starter set launch rods are only about 30 inches long :mad: :(

The C6-3 that I used in the Outlander had one of the new grey nozzles and I flew it off a standard launch rod.

It went straight up, just not very high.

According to the package, it weighs about 4.1 ounces which I believe is the max limit for a C6-3.

Back