D-Day themed Der Big Red Max builds...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

BEC

Reaction score
It looks like Callie did her usual great job creating the graphics for you.

James Duffy

Reaction score
It looks like Callie did her usual great job creating the graphics for you.
Absolutely, I'm really impressed with the quality of the printing and cutting that they did on the vinyl for this project, and I look forward to using more of their stuff.

James

Bruiser

Reaction score
I like the bumper max the best. I wish I could see that one fly. Should be awesome!

-Bob

Bruiser

Reaction score
Nice launch! I must have missed it in the build but how did you ignite the second stage?

-Bob

James Duffy

Reaction score
I must have missed it in the build but how did you ignite the second stage?
The sustainer is ignited by a PerfectFlite miniTimer4 in the nose cone of the booster. The setup also uses a piston assembly to reduce the possibility of motor damage to the nose. I'll cover the assembly of the electronics sled and piston base when the parts arrive, but the assembly and operation will be very similar to the setup used in my Bumper WAC several years ago, and detailed starting in this post: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/revisiting-the-estes-maxi-brute-v-2.140236/page-2#post-1692064

James

hball55

Reaction score
I received some V2 decals from Stickershock that had some swastika decals. I was about to use them on my 4” Der Red Max because many of my waterslide decals tore when I tried to apply them. Thinking twice stopped me from using them, as I figured my club might not let me fly a rocket with swastikas on it.

James Duffy

Reaction score
Received a cool package in the mail today, a custom 24" parachute that I can swap between the two models. Steve Riegel of Front Range Rocket Recovery suggested a custom black/white radial design that would mimic the invasion stripes of both the Mustang Max and Dakota Max rockets. This, I thought, was a fantastic idea. Take my money, please!
IMG_5132.jpg
Can't wait to fly these with this great chute!

James

James Duffy

Reaction score
The laser-cut bits for the piston staging mount arrived yesterday from Mike Nowak at Galactic Manufacturing. Fit on the parts was flawless, so you should contact him immediately and buy several.

Here's a view of the parts pre-assembly:
fullsizeoutput_23b6.jpeg

...and a view of the mount assembled with epoxy.
IMG_5155D.JPG

A pair of 1/2" square pecanpineoakspuce blocks were glued to the interior surface of the nose cone to serve as mount points for the piston base. Small mounting screws will engage with holes drilled into the endgrain.
IMG_5154D.JPG

A PerfectFlite miniTimer4 is mounted onto the piston base, and the wiring for the switch and power (a 9v battery) is installed. The battery will be installed on an inside surface of the nose cone using velcro.
IMG_5157D.JPG IMG_5158.JPG

Scrap lengths of BT-5 and BT-20 tubing are nested to create the piston, which will engage with the piston base at the aft end, and an A3-4T motor in the second stage at the forward end. A Q2G2 igniter is soldered to lengths of wire wrap wire, which will connect to the timer and extend up the length of the piston tube.
fullsizeoutput_23b8.jpeg

The piston, base, and igniter all integrate together for use. The piston gets really funky after use and needs to be replaced after each flight, but does a great job of protecting the nose of the booster.
fullsizeoutput_23b7.jpeg

Here's how the piston base looks when installed in the aft end of the nose cone.
IMG_5161.JPG

I plan on flying this at our next AARG club launch in early May, and will be sure to grab photos of the prep process at that time.

James