D Day 78 years

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MClark

Reaction score
We have a customer who was a Ranger who went up Pointe du Hoc.
A few years ago he joined his is fellow Rangers and traced their route through France.
He said he stood on the beach looking up the cliff and said “were we ever that young?”

One of my late uncles was a glider pilot on D-Day. Appearently he drew one of the misloaded gliders as they went into the channel shortly after release. He suffered a ruptured eardrum on impact and he caught TB along the way. He pulled a couple of paratroops out of the glider as well. The weather was awful but they got picked up by a patrol boat fairly quickly. There seemed to be a lot of that gravity thing going around.

Jim

My wife and I visited Normandy in 1999. There is a small museum in Arromanches where the Mulberry Harbor was set up. The young French people running it were incredibly nice to the American WWII veteran who walked into the museum a short time after we arrived. They were truly grateful for what he did in the war. These young people were most likely born in the 70's, but their gratitude for what he did 55 years earlier was genuine.

My great uncle went up Omaha Beach late on D-Day, and later worked on airbases a few days behind the front lines. He could hear the Battle of the Bulge in the distance.

Latest posts

Back