cyberyokel's 2 stage kit flies.......

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberyokel

Reaction score
...and recovers successfully. Hurrah, my first kit (Estes Mongoose)! I agree with the EMRR review in that it was certainly worth keeping an eye on the booster section which is extremely aerodynamic and comes down at a fair pace with air whistling gently through the empty motor (I’m pretty sure that it’s aerodynamic anyway but it certainly is if the booster section isn’t a perfect friction fit over the motor – it looked like the booster body had slipped just slightly down the motor at launch so after staging the booster & motor CG was forward of the CP). Didn’t cause any damage though (to itself or anything else !) and it landed 10 feet from the launch rod each time.

I see what greg means about the top section fins getting melted – it’s still useable after a couple of launches but definitely melted a little between the fins. I wonder if it’s possible to use cooking foil as heat shielding (or maybe it burns !).

I replaced the standard streamer with a mylar one (I’ve bought a set of scratch-build components from https://www.apo11o.co.uk/ ) and mounted it externally using 25lb fishing line. This worked very well – the top stage landed about 30 ft from the launch rod.
It would be nice to get someone else to launch it for me then I could step back some distance to watch it stage – there’s not really much to see when you’re right underneath it (other than the booster stage hurtling back down of course).

This is the first kit I’ve built (although I’m now halfway through a scratch-build) and we’ve really enjoyed it. I launched it on my own to check it out first, then again with my godson. He loved it, and I learnt lots building it – definitely worth £10 although if you expect it to last forever you’ll be disappointed, and it would be nice if the booster tumbled properly (if you’re with kids that is – if you actually are the 6 year old in question then it’s fine and exciting just the way it is).

I see what greg means about the top section fins getting melted – it’s still useable after a couple of launches but definitely melted a little between the fins. I wonder if it’s possible to use cooking foil as heat shielding (or maybe it burns !).

I have heard that people that use "foil" tape are disappointed as the tape seems to keep the heat there.

Otherwise congrats on the successful flight!

Now, don't loose your flight activity! Sorry for the promotional approach, but head over to EMRR's Flight Log Database and enter it. As you enter more flights the Flight Profile is very cool to look at (my opinion):

Nickhttps://www.rocketreviews.com/flightlogs.shtml

Good deal on the flight.

Our first staged rocket was an Estes Echostar, still have it and it flies great staged or as a single stage.

Right now waiting for paint to dry on our second Echostar, the first one got damaged in the house, so it's been modified, still flies great staged or single but it's not a complete one.

Came up with a great new idea for this one's paint scheme, seemed to look good in my head, but now that it's 90% finished doesn't look so good....lol oh well, it will fly.

Jason

Back