Cwbullet’s Bullet Bobby XXL build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to make a little change to the build. I will assemble the fin can and then slide it into the rocket.

The nose cone is 3D printed. I need to decide which epoxy to use to glue the weights in. According to an online search, just about any epoxy should work.
I like to put a trimmed nail across the nose tip and then glue nose weight in. Not sure if this will work on this rocket given the bluntness of the nose.

Is the interior of the nose hollow?

For a 3D-printed nose like that, it would seem like a good idea to build a little interior structure directly into the print to anchor the epoxy.... then there would be nothing further to do other than pour in the shot (or whatever) and epoxy, and done. No need to add nails or dowels or other stuff.

Last edited:
I was thinking about a long coupler nut inside the nose with a short carriage bolt thru nosecone to hold it in place. I like couplers, because they let me screw anything I want into the nosecone. Handy for altimeters, GPS, extra weight, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions on this one. I will probably thread some 3mm screws into the nose cone to create some tabs for the epoxy to grip on.

I attached the polycarbonate motor retainer to the motor mount with JB Weld.

IMG_2515.jpeg
I inserted the motor mount into the retainer and added a ring of JB weld to glue the centering. I would have used regular epoxy, but I had some extra JB weld already mixed.
IMG_2516.jpeg

I have decided to follow the directions. Oh, no! Yes, I am going to follow the directions. i am going to glue the bulkheads for stabilization with starbond Black Ca glue.

Last edited:
I love the Starbond black CA. This stuff is easy to use, and you can see where you put it.

The black superglue I am using is the Starbond Black medium thickness. I like it because it stays where I want it, and I can see it to stop from supergluing my hand to the rocket.

Their accelerator works well too. They make it in a pump, but the aerosol can works better.

IMG_2564.jpeg

I taped off my filets with Yellow Frog tape because it was hand. It does not stick well, and in hindsight, that was not a great choice. I would use the cheap blue stuff.

For my filets, I used Rocketpoxy without a color additive. This stuff is fantastic. I let it cure for 5-10 minutes before making filets, so it holds the shape better.

IMG_2547.jpeg

The filets came out smooth and like glass. Another nice thing is that the rocket comes with a lug and 1010 rail buttons. The rail buttons include T-Nuts. This kit is well thought out and easy to build.

IMG_2546.jpeg
I tacked my centering rings (CRs) in place with black CA glue to avoid movement while I epoxy the fins in place. I used 5-minute Bob Smith Epoxy. I will go back and apply a fillet of 5-minute epoxy to the CRs once the fins are glued in place. Why did I do this? If I screw up the alignment of the CRs, I can pop the epoxy tacking and readjust them.

The kit came with a kevlar cord. I will probably add a nerf ball or pipe insulation to protect the tube. I also always shrink-wrap my knots.

Back