Cutting slots for through the wall fins?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what to buy!

• MAWD

• hardware (what kind?)

• Rouse Tech CO2

• other

• MAWD

• hardware (what kind?)

• Rouse Tech CO2

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.

shrox

Reaction score
How do you feel about cutting your own tube slots for through the wall fins? What if it kept the cost down by a $1? Answer the poll, and post your reasons here.

shrox

I chose the "I can and will do it", but my true response would be: "I can and will do it, but I'd much rather just pay an extra dollar to not have to do it."

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.jonrocket.com

I chose the "I can and will do it", but my true response would be: "I can and will do it, but I'd much rather just pay an extra dollar to not have to do it."

ditto.

my own design, from scratch - sure. but for a kit, it's really nice to have those pre-cut.

I would rather have the BT in the kit be in one piece, unslotted, and do it myself.

That way I have the option of using the kit materials to bash something different (not that I would ever DREAM of committing such a sacriledge to a Shrox kit!). Even if I just want to do something a teeny bit different, I could be limited by unwanted slots appearing in ugly places. I would just rather do it myself.

But this does sort of raise the question of: what tool/jig/approach do people use to accomplish this when cutting low-power BT sizes? I am talking about BT that is too small to mount on a saw table, and has to be cut some way by hand with X-acto-type tools. Anybody?

Originally posted by Juaru

Exactly the way I feel.........

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.jonrocket.com

Once again a nother ditto

Originally posted by elbmod
Once again a nother ditto

Like many of the other replies, I can and do cut fin slots on my scratch built rockets, I prefer a kit to have them pre-cut.

yup... i agree with the others, i don't mind cutting my own fin slots unless they are very 'odd' slots that need to be cut precisely (such as fins that don't run parallel to the BT, in order to introduce a spin effect).
so far as how i cut them, on LPR stuff i take something of the same ID as the tube, or something as close as possible (aka a dowel) and then wrap newspaper around it until its the right size, and slip that into the BT. then I mark the slots, usually either 3 or 4 lines equally spaced around the tube and then measure 1/8" or whatever size fins you have to the left of each of the previous lines and draw a line there. Using the same piece of angled metal that i used to draw the slots I use a hobby knife and cut away... i haven't had a problem this way yet, tho i'm sure there are plenty of other alternatives ;)

Time saved is more important to me than money. I can always make more money, time I can't. I can't believe anyone is that desperate to save $1.

So put me in as another ditto!

Glenn

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.jonrocket.com

Yet another ditto.

I prefer NOT to cut fin slots in a kit, but that doesn't mean I won't do it! I recently cut fin slots in a LOC 3.9" tube and I thought it was an enjoyable experience, for being my first time. So, I'm not going to vote on the poll, since it is too restrictive, but here is my answer:

I would like to have my fin slots pre cut in a kit, even if it means paying another measly buck!

Jason

Hmm....I coulda just saved myself a couple of minutes and just said:

DITTO!

But if I did that...I wouldn't up my post count...:p :)

Jason

For LPR I would rather have the "Option" of doing it. That way, if I felt like doing it I could. If I didn't, I could just cut the tabs off the fins and glue. If structurally it didn't need it, I could just press on and build.

For larger rockets, I would rather have it done. (MPR, HPR)

Put me down for the extra dollar that it would cost a big time saver to me and I don't mind paying a little extra for the service.

John

Can and will, and do not mind in the least. I do not build so many rockets so fast that I feel I need to save that little bit of time.

Can and will. Precut slots are nice, if done correctly. When I built the Aerotech Astrobee D, the tube that came with the kit had the slots cut incorrectly. I called Aerotech, explained the situation, and they promptly sent me out a new tube. Great. Guess what, same problem. Went ahead and fixed the slots, which was a PITA but, no harm done.

I would prefer pre cut.
One less chance of me having something to post to the "How many times have you been cut?" thread:D

Back