Cutting G10

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbeckey

Reaction score
I recently acquired a scroll saw and it occurred to me that I might be able to cut G10 for fins with it. I have seen blades with high tooth counts available for cutting thin metals. Would a blade like this cut G10 efficiently? I know that the dust is toxic and will take precautions.

Hi rbeckey:

You should have no problem with G10 on the scroll saw. I have cut plenty of G10 fin material with mine. It's a little hard on the blade but workable. Change the blade out after a while as ususal.

I have also cut electronic circuit board.

Cheers

how do you clean up the dust?

my scroll saw has an attachment for the shopvac.

people say you should use a dust mask too. that's good advice, I think fiberglass dust is nasty stuff.

You might think about spritzing it with water from time to time.
On a scroll saw the motor is a long way from the blade.

Greg

Scroll saws are perfect. So to is a Dremel with a small diamond wheel.

As for fibreglass dust being toxic!!! I've been working with it for over thirty years and it hasn't affected me in any way. It's a myth. Just wear a dust mask like you would for sanding wood or anything else. Toxic=Poison, frp dust is not poisonious.

Ray's Rocketry

I use a band saw for my G10. Works well.

I use a mask just for safety. I don't go crazy about it. Just don't breathe it in large quantities. Coal miners used to (or still do) not wear mask while mining. Miners can last 20 years. That's a lot worse than 20min exposure to dust every once in awhile. Remember, this is not a reason to not wear a mask. Just be careful and wear a mask at your own discretion.

My $0.02

But as one author put it, 'asbestos seems to cause cancer by little fibers floating around in the air and being inhaled. Cysts form around the fibers in the lungs and eventually turn cancerous. While cutting (or sanding) fiberglass, little fiberous particles are forced into the air, where they can be inhaled.'
Whether or not they could result in cancer, I do not know.
This is not a direct quote, its been awhile since I read it, I can find it again if anyone insists on accuracy.
My familial history with cancer is NOT good; I'm going to work on the "Better Safe Than Sorry" principle.

Just my 2¢.

Greg

There is no evidence to date of fibreglass dust or fibres causing cancer. Asbestos is a very special case.

Back