Cutting Foam Discs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BHP

Reaction score
I've got some 3" foam discs x 1/2" thick. Out of these I want to cut discs 1.75" in diameter. Obviously a pair of scissors will cut the foam easily enough but with my unsteady hand they are not perfectly circular. Anybody in this vast, diversified, handy and clever group have any ideas for accomplishing this ominous task before me?

Thanks.

If you are talking about rigid foam, you might want to try the cookie cutter approach. Find a round container withthe ID as close as you can (perhaps slightly larger) than your finished dimension and with a twisting motion push them through.

Since you want a disk, a tool that would do this is a hole saw with the mandrel removed.

A

Whoops, I should have and forgot to describe the foam. It is not the rigid kind but more like the foam used in seat cushions.

A cookie cutter type tool would work but would need a sharper, razor type cutting edge. Anyone know if a fabric store carries something like this?

Again, thanks!

Here is one we used to use that sounds weird, but works.

Freeze the foam!

If you have access, a shot of liquid N2 works first rate.

However, I have also used automotive refrigerant, CO2 and in one case I soaked it in water and just tossed it in a plain old freezer.

Then see step one above...

Another idea would be to clamp the foam betwixt two pieces of rigid material and use a hole saw. Never tried it though, seems like it will work. The management take no responsibility on shredded foam for this one.;)

Do you have an Archivers or scrapbook store close? They have die cut machines that might have the right OD for you.

Edward

How about making a template outta masonite or 1/4" plywood. pressing it down onto the foam, and cutting around it with a SHARP knife or rotary trimmer?

Draw your circle on the foam with a pen and cut it out with an electric knife.
Let the knife make the cut, don't "push" it into the cuts.
How the folks that refirb chairs do it; those that I know anyway.

Greg

Back