Cutting Fiberglass tube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High Desert Rocketry

Reaction score
Ok, after doing a search and scrolling through hundreds of treads, I guess I'll start my own. How to cut fiberglass undoubtedly has been covered in 'build posts' but maybe not a thread itself.

In desperation, I cut a 38mm fiberglass tube for an avionics bay using just an old outdoor chop saw. And I mean old. The blade has cut all sorts of stuff from wood to metal and even a rock.

My dad taught me to wrap a layer of tape on things to limit/prevent splinters and fraying. Knowing the blade was anything but sharp, I hoped for the best and it surprised me. The cut was real nice.

Pictures of the cut (tape removed off one end) and the blade...notice broken and missing carbide teeth :oops:

DSC_0058 (2).JPG

and the fit with the motor case.

DSC_0059 (2).JPG

To prevent the fiberglass ends from splintering/fraying, is CA the best thing to use?

Rick

Last edited:
I just use a standard hacksaw . If I do use electricity I always use metal cutting blades or carbide tipped.

The link seems to be troublesome if not broken. Not a 404 error, but rather a 504 - Gateway timeout.
Hmm, not sure. It seems to be working now.

Anyway, from this and the other thread linked above, the upshot seems to be that cutting fiberglass is no biggie.
Well, the dust produced can be a "biggie" for sure. It will also dull HSS and Carbide tools very quickly.

Dremel in the toolpost of the lathe with a cutoff wheel, or alternatively, a dental drill with a diamond burr. I have done it both ways. Chuck running quite slow. Need to use a vac to keep the dust constrained. No frayed edges.

Back