Cutting cardboard tube that will be fiberglass sleeved

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustin Lobner

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be cutting and glassing a cardboard tube. I've heard of the hose clamp and multiple passes of a razor blade - that's the plan for the cut, except I printed a guide (see pic below).

I've heard that to get the cut smooth you should CA the end and then sand. However, I'm planning on glassing this after cutting, so I'm not sure I should put CA down. Should I just laminate it and then worry about sanding it smooth once it's been epoxied? Would help the glass then too...

I searched the forum here, which is where I found the hose lamp and multiple pass with a razor blade technique. Not sure how to fit that in with glassing though.

EDIT: I also bought a hacksaw with a very fine toothed blade, so that's an option as well.

Thanks!

Dustin

Cut Guide.jpg

That will work
If glassing I usually leave it long in case epoxy runs into tube.
A power miter saw is the cool thing to use.

M

Power miter saw - is there a similar blade I can use in my "hand powered" saw? Don't feel like spending the $ on a saw for just this.

Thanks everyone!

Took a whirl at it tonight. Hacksaw = C-/D+. Did the multiple laps with a razor blade with much success, going to keep going that route.

I second what Steve suggested. Glass over the longer tube and then trim the ends. Makes for neater fiberglass that way IMHO. Personally I would cut it off in my lathe, using a Dremel with a cutoff wheel mounted on the toolpost. You could do similar with a V-groove in some wood, and the Dremel, rotating the tube by hand. Don't forget to use a vacuum cleaner if you are cutting fiberglass this way.

Sounds good! The first tube I have I cut half an inch long. There will be 3 tubes on this rocket...think I'll glass them all and then take them to a friend's and do the dremel/wood working lathe technique.

Dustin

Talked with my friend - he has a woodworking lathe, but not nearly big enough. He does have a nice table mounted belt sander though, so I think I'm just going to use that to clean the ends up after glassing.

Back