Cutting Carbon Airframe

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thequick

Reaction score
I want to cut a few inches off a carbon airframe. It is a small diameter tube so I’m inclined to cut it on a lathe with a carbide bit. Does anyone know if this will work? I am concerned that it might start fraying instead of cutting. It is a filament wound tube, not a rolled and layer weave.

Thanks

I want to cut a few inches off a carbon airframe. It is a small diameter tube so I’m inclined to cut it on a lathe with a carbide bit. Does anyone know if this will work? I am concerned that it might start fraying instead of cutting. It is a filament wound tube, not a rolled and layer weave.

Thanks
It will work, wear gloves and a respirator. CF cuts and drills very easily, but be prepared for the dust, it gets everywhere.

For cutting fiberglass and CF in the lathe I find using something as a toolpost grinder works a treat. I have the choice of a Dremel with cutting wheels or a dental drill with diamond burrs. Very clean cut, but dealing with dust, especially CF, is a nuisance. Also works great for turning balsa.

Let us know how it goes with the carbide bit.

I do not think a bit of any type would work very well, will fray badly. A grinder as stated, but have you ever thought of a chop saw with a blade for cutting tile or concrete? Should be able to get a perfect 90 degree cut. I cut carbon shafts all the time with this type of blade, cut is clean and square.

Today I cut the tube on the lathe using a carbide bit. It cut really well with a little dust. There were a few carbon whiskers that I can knock off with sandpaper or a file. Here are some pictures :

Attachments

• 5BAB9B4A-0D0C-4E02-A5EB-37E14F5AC15F.jpeg
    5BAB9B4A-0D0C-4E02-A5EB-37E14F5AC15F.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 1EAC31D5-5517-409D-81FE-A451ADFEFC89.jpeg
    1EAC31D5-5517-409D-81FE-A451ADFEFC89.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 66
I recommend a tungsten carbide rod saw. It is cheap and will cut any composite material with ease and with minimal fraying.

A blade with fine teeth (more teeth) will also work great. You want to steer clear from coarse teeth. Those will yank and pull on the carbon and will fray it even worse.

I'd have bet against that working as well as it appears..Congrats:).

Back