Cutting Blue Tube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActingLikeAKid

Reaction score
I've got a build I'm getting the bug to start, and it would require TTW fins on blue tube. How hard is that stuff to cut? Would you recommend a cutting wheel on a Dremel? A sharp X-Acto and some patience? FREAKING LAZERS? Looking for advice.

Standard woodworking tools are great on phenolic, vulcanized can delam so I'd probably tape-n-cut with good support ( PVC is cheap )

I have built two rockets with Blue Tube and I used a Dremel tool with a cutting disk to cut the fin slots. I usually cut the slots a little too narrow and then sand them using a metal ruler with sandpaper wrapped around it until the fins just fit in the slots.

This has worked well for me. Mark off your slots, then use masking tape to create a 'window' you want to cut out.

100_0506_zps0ee43fba.jpg

100_0509_zps8f3328b6.jpg

Use a Dremel cutting wheel like this: https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-EZ54...020353&sr=1-12&keywords=dremel+cutting+wheel

It cuts Blue Tube like butter.

+1 this Dremel cutting wheel...either the Ez-Loc version listed above or the regular one shown below, they cut on the edge and sand on the flats. They work great for cutting fin slots and its all I use for rocketry materials, except metal.

View attachment 294218

Last edited by a moderator:
I mark with a sharpie and freehand with a dremel, then clean it up with an xacto.

Back