Custom Turned nosecone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astronboy

Reaction score
Hey guys, I turned my first balsa nosecone tonight. Thanks for the inspiration Sandman!! It is a BT-5 sized cone for my 1/4A Alpha. It took all of 20 mins. from the time that I drilled the hole for the dowel, to the time that I set in the screw eye and placed it on the rocket. Sorry my Digital camera doesn't take very good close-ups...

and here is the complete rocket: note the 1/4A T motor sticking out the back...

very nice looking cone and rocket!

What power tool provided the rotation? What did you use to 'carve' it down?

Thanks,

Bob

Great job Astron...sounds like you really enjoyed turning your own...It's pretty cool to think you did EVERYTHING on the model!

Well Done,

Carl

looks kool now ya just got to give it a nice paint job to go with it

astronboy,

the coolest thing is when someone asks if you made that model and ya get to say, "Yep! I even turned the nose cone!" it makes ya feel really good.

great job!

sandman

fantastic! and, yep, it's a special feelilng to know you did it all!

the *true* scratch building!

Thanks Guys.... Here's how I did it: I used a small Delta drill press (On Sale at around $50-60 dollars), and drilled the hole for the dowel is a piece of 1x1 basla (I wanted to use a way oversize hunk of balsa for my first attempt). Then I glued in the dowel with super glue and cut a bit of each corner of the balsa block off. Then I chucked it and began turning. I used one of my favorite hobby tools: a Finger Nail sander/buffer. This is the modern version of the emery board and you can buy them at any place that sells finger nail polish and associated girly stuff. They vary from about 3/4" wide to 1" wide and are very useful. Wal Mart has good prices, but we have a local 'discount beauty supply' shop where I buy them for .75 to 1.50 each depending ion the 'grade' of the sandpaper. They come anywhere from the equivalent of coarse '150 grit' to a buffing '1500 grit'. Some are all one grit, but I also find the '4-way grinder buffer' to be very useful. I used the coarse for rounding the balsa block, then the medium for general shaping. As I got closer to the size and shape I wanted, I gradually reduced grits until I was down to the polishing/buffing stick, and the cone is smooth, smooth, smooth.

Oh yeah, I first made the shoulder to fit the BT-5. Of coarse, after spending 1/2 hour trying to find my caliper, I just slit a 3/8" long piece of BT-5 and used that as gauge, slipping it over the balsa shoulder until it fit. Once the should was finished, I put some tape on the slit in the bt-5 piece to hold it in place, and protect the shoulder as I worked the shape of the cone.

now, *that's* a good tutorial too.

You brought out all the good points (like shaving down the corners and taping the shoulder to protect it as you did the rest)

One idea (i like that "cut a bt5 as a guide" idea) that I like is to take some scrap basswood or ply and cut a square notch in it the correct size. Over the years i've made several.

They are rectangle, and wide enough to accomodate the particular nose cone size. On one end I have a notch for the shoulder and on the other the OD of the nose cone. Then I drill a small hole in the center and hang 'em on a hook with the rest of my tools.

Oh! One more point... This is another reason why I love rocketry and rocketeers... we're so inventive!

Just seems so normal and *right* that one of us should receive our rocketry allowance (come on, whether it's *mom* or *wife*, it's an allowance...), we can say with confidence "Off to the beauty shop for supplies!" LOL

jim

I cannot take any credit for these ideas, I simply combined Sandman's notes about cone turning with Peter Alway's from his "Art of Scale Model Rocketry" book... and of course the ESTES
Catalog picture of a cone blank chucked in an electric drill. (I tried this at age 11 with my Dad's electric drill and darned near lopped a finger off) It is a shame that Peter's book is out of print as it has many great scratchbuilding ideas. (The BT-5 gauge was his idea). I like the wooden gauge idea of your though and I will make a set for my self as soon as I can find that $%$#@ micrometer. When I don't need the thing, it is always falling out of a drawer or something!!

Well, I wasn't totalyy satisfied with the nosecone in the above pictures. Something just didn't seem right. So I re-did my calculations, and re-measured measured everything and found that I made the cone 1/4" too short, hence it's stubby look. So I made another late last night. Again, it took about 20min. This one looks mush more Alpha-like.

astronboy,

Like I have said before, I've been making my own nose cones and balsa transitions for a VERY long time.

One of the benefits (or drawbacks) is the huge quantity of "failed" nose cones I have stockpiled.

Fortunatly they are only failed attempt until you find just the perfect model for them.

Nothing makes me feel better than going over my "inventory" of stuff. It's kinda like counting your gambling winnings after a poker game.

sandman

Back