Custom Rockets Galileo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnwwa

Reaction score
I thought I'd post a picture of my latest project. This is the first kit I've attempted using a heavy card stock for the airframe , the curling of the cardstock was the hardest part of this kit. My only other problem was the decals. The decals were cut to size with no excess film then I dry fit and cut to proper size as needed. The first application did not go well the decal broke into three pieces but I managed to get it into place . Then I overcoated with Microscale decal film on the remaining decals and let dry for about 30 minutes before appling to the rocket . The BT in the background is a Custom Rockets " Redliner " just about ready for primer, two more coats of sanding sealer . will post when finished.

BAR :D
John

Very nice!

Now I always thought that the Galileo would make a neat nose cone/capsule thingy for a scale like project.

The plastic Mini Marz Lander is another one.

Have it come down on it's own.

sandman

Sandman
just daydreaming try this the Galileo as a nose cone. as is w/an
transition section to a larger BT with large fins maybe a BT60
with a C or D motor.
John
BAR

johnnwwa: Nice looking Galileo! I made one and I christen it USS Clara in honor of my soon-2-b-wife. Good work on the model.

One thing with my Galileo is that I glued the fins on the wrong side and the dowels are closer together than the one on the cover.

Here she is in space...

Oh... I forgot...

I recently read that some in the forum had flown the galileo and it was destroyed when the ejection charge went off. Also someone made a 13mm adapter and had successfuly flown the Galileo. I do not want to lose mine, specially after naming it after my girlfriend, so last nite I made a 13mm adapter for it and plan to attach a streamer to it for recovery. Do not know how high it will fly but it will fly... and fly again....

Here is a pic of the business end with the adapter outside...

So when you get mad at your wife Clara you will put a 18mm "D" motor in it?;)

Did it come with a launch lug standoff or did you have to cut one?

Originally posted by rosko_racer
Oh... I forgot...

I recently read that some in the forum had flown the galileo and it was destroyed when the ejection charge went off. Also someone made a 13mm adapter and had successfuly flown the Galileo. I do not want to lose mine, specially after naming it after my girlfriend, so last nite I made a 13mm adapter for it and plan to attach a streamer to it for recovery. Do not know how high it will fly but it will fly... and fly again....

Here is a pic of the business end with the adapter outside...

That's excatly what happened to mine TWICE, both times I was able to find the pieces and repair it, but opf course it is showing the wear and tear, I'm thinking 13mm might be the way to go also. Let us know how it goes.

Originally posted by rosko_racer
Here she is with the adapter installed...

Do any of you guys have a copy of the Plan or dimensions for the Galileo. and maybe a pic or scan of the shroud? I've been lookng for one or the plans to downscale it and build a full size as a satellite in a BT-80 model:D

Orporg, it comes with a standoff.

Mine was also destroyed on the maiden flight. Everything looked good, and it appeared to be helicoptering down. When it was recovered, it became clear quickly that two of the "fins" had ripped off.

John: I have an unopened one and I am willing to give it to you. You can keep it or simply open it and use it as a template. were you planning on making one for the 15th? if so, I could open it and do the scanning and send you the dimensions...

That was the Plan Raul;)
Thanks for the offer, If you could just scan the shroud and give me the dimensions that would be enough...I've got more then enough parts to build a fleet of them in the basement...I'm really looking to downscale it by 2 or more:D
If you do Scan the parts, could you e-mail the to me at [email protected] I can get higher res files there;)
Thanks!

Can you describe the standoff to me? Perhaps even give me the plans to replicate one?

Oddly enough, though mine didn't come with a standoff it came with a really long launch lug. Much, much longer than you would need for this model.

I just opened my other Galileo... an noticed that the fin orientation on rocket on the front cover is different than on the instructions... we both did our Galileos according to the instructions... if you look closely the Galileo on the front cover, the fins are glued to the shroud on the shorter side of the fins while the instructions tells you to glue them on the second shortest side...

John: Im working on scanning the files as we speak.
Orport: PM me or post your email address and I can forward a copy of the files to you also...

Yes, the fin orientation is different in the instructions that it is as seen on the face card.

It went with the orientation as shown on the face card. If you do it as shown in the instructions, I doubt the decals will fit/line up as shown on the face card.

Originally posted by marcsl
Yes, the fin orientation is different in the instructions that it is as seen on the face card.

It went with the orientation as shown on the face card. If you do it as shown in the instructions, I doubt the decals will fit/line up as shown on the face card.

You are right. I did not noticed that detail until you pointed it out. If you want to see how the decals look when you glue the fins the way the instructions say, look at the picture that I posted earlier on this thread, Clarainspace.jpg...

I will make the second Galileo but this time according to the face card... I like it better that way.

well, I opened my 2nd Galileo and could not resist building it... but this time I glued the fins like the pic on the front card. I also angled the launch log standoff and the launch lug, and I rounded the fins to reduce drag. I put two coats of CA to the nose cone as a filler and to add some strength to it. The plan is to give this one a different color scheme.

If anyone wants to play with this file, go for it. I created this one after I lost my first Galileo last month to an unstable flight. It flew up for about 80 feet, then dived. The rocket was on the ground when the ejection charged blew, breaking all three fins. I do not know what happened but it was a windy day.

Here is what it looked like after it crashed... right beside my scratch built Centuri Vulcan, which also lost a nose cone (replacement ordered last nite from Semroc...)

But now we Know WHY it crashed Raul! you flew it on a B or C motor (don't recall which..B I think). After looking at Custom rockets front package panel it was discovered... Custom Only recommends the model be flown on 1/2A and A 18mm motors LOL :D. Changing the finlet pattern will likely help the darg stabilty but the dowels may still not be able to take the stress of the higher impluse motors for very long;)

I'm Just about done with a T3 body, MMX powered model, that uses a different conical nose shape that matches the body taper, and completely eliminated the Launch lag standoff, just for fun. Hope to have it ready before our Sept 16th launch. Should get a test flight in as soon as the field dries a little from the recent downpours;)

Back