Custom Parts - Whats the best way to get them?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottluther1369

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm scratch building a kit and I'm trying to decypher a RockSim File.
Where should I order custom parts such as:
Centering RingOD 2.5888 In, ID 0.9990 In, Len 0.125 In 1/8" Aircraft APlywood Qty 2-4
Parachute 8 Sided shape Dia 28.506 Spill hole 0.0 in
Bulkhead - Aircraft plywood (Birch) BulkheadOD 2.588 in, Len 0.125
EyeBolt - Public Missles -HDWE-EYE-1/8 1/8X24 Steel
Engine Block - Apogee - 13031 - CR 18-24 ring Material; Paper - Engine BlockOD 0.950in., Len 0.250"

There was also a lot of estes parts. Is there a place where I can send a Rocksim file and have them send me specified parts?

Also listed is a Foiled lined 24mm motor mount tube Est 3086 (Estes). I didn't know they made foild mounted tubes.

Also the place I need the nose cone is out of them I need a:
Custom Polystyrene PS Nose Shape Ogive, Len 10.5in, Dia 2.6 In, Wall thinkness 0.020 In Body insert OD:2.540In Len 1.250 In, CG 7.538In Mass 24.702g.

Is In = inches?

It would be nice if there was a one stop shopping for parts. : )
I also need custom cutting of the body tube to accomidate the fins. I have not had much luck contacting parts company. It's what you see is what you get and I need help translating what parts can be substituted and still have equal strength and weight.
Thanks!
--Scott (the newbie)

Originally posted by scottluther1369
Hi,
I'm scratch building a kit and I'm trying to decypher a RockSim File.
Where should I order custom parts such as:
Centering RingOD 2.5888 In, ID 0.9990 In, Len 0.125 In 1/8" Aircraft APlywood Qty 2-4
Parachute 8 Sided shape Dia 28.506 Spill hole 0.0 in
Bulkhead - Aircraft plywood (Birch) BulkheadOD 2.588 in, Len 0.125
EyeBolt - Public Missles -HDWE-EYE-1/8 1/8X24 Steel
Engine Block - Apogee - 13031 - CR 18-24 ring Material; Paper - Engine BlockOD 0.950in., Len 0.250"

There was also a lot of estes parts. Is there a place where I can send a Rocksim file and have them send me specified parts?

Also listed is a Foiled lined 24mm motor mount tube Est 3086 (Estes). I didn't know they made foild mounted tubes.

Also the place I need the nose cone is out of them I need a:
Custom Polystyrene PS Nose Shape Ogive, Len 10.5in, Dia 2.6 In, Wall thinkness 0.020 In Body insert OD:2.540In Len 1.250 In, CG 7.538In Mass 24.702g.

Is In = inches?

It would be nice if there was a one stop shopping for parts. : )
I also need custom cutting of the body tube to accomidate the fins. I have not had much luck contacting parts company. It's what you see is what you get and I need help translating what parts can be substituted and still have equal strength and weight.
Thanks!
--Scott (the newbie)

Rocketguts.com can do custom fins and rings in almost any material. We've had small stuff from 1/16" birch plywood, to 1/2" birch plywood, and metal all the way up to 3/16" aluminum. The CNC machine can supposedly cut up to 4" thick materials. It can cut anything that fits in a 4'x8' rectangle, and precise up to 0.001"

Send us what you would like to be cut at [email protected], and we'll get you a quote right away.

Part of the problem is you are being introduced to terminology that you are not familiar with. Many folks have been involved in scratch building for so long that as they read your description they saw in their minds... "ok, a BT-80, a couple of CR-50-80 rings, an EB-50, a BT-50 engine tube, etc, etc..." and it *means* something to them :)

on TRF we have a "glossary of terms", it would be kewl to have a TRF-Decoder ring to help identify a description to the many part numbers that vendors use.

FlisKits has a wide array of parts, but (unfortunately) very little to do with the BT-80 tube (that 2.6" diameter tube), so we can't be much help there.

There are many folks here (and Balsa Machining Service ) that can help with the custom cutting and rings and such.

check 'em out :)
jim

Custom and spec body tubes and foil lined motor mount tubing: https://www.totubular.com/

Custom centering rings, bulkhead plates, nose cones, spec body tubes:
https://www.balsamachining.com/

Spec body tubes, nose cones, misc. parts up to BT70:
https://www.fliskits.com/

Spec parts, nylon chutes:
https://www.thrustaero.com/

There are many more fine vendors out there, these are just examples off the top of my head. Totally Tubular's web page is not completely updated. If you email with specs he will let you know about availability.

Everybody else covered it pretty well; these aren't custom.

The nose cone is a standard 4:1 (length/diameter ratio) ogive.

As far as I know only Totally Tubular carries full length foil lined tubes. I found a couple places that carry pieces of it but I don't recall who and I don't know how much you need.

For the chute, that size was calculated as optimal for whatever descent rate was selected. A 30" is standard and close enough.

Back