Custom nose cones?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunkie

Reaction score
Does anyone have a method of injection molding nose cones that doesn't cost a lot? I want to make a bunch of identical nose cones in the easiest possible way. Maybe there is another method?

Thanks.

Scott Ghiz
TRA#2760, L3

As far as home-brewed injection moulding goes, I sure would like to find something too! Instead, I think this gets pretty expensive pretty quickly. But if you find a way, we want to hear about it.

https://www.alumilite.com/

Sounds like a decent way to make nose cones without injection molding. For more info on small injection molding, check out:

https://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/inject/

Though, I believe the above injection molding method doesn't support enough volume to do HPR nose cones, it will probably do custom 'scale' parts for something like a Saturn 1B, Saturn V, among others.

---

Grad school is coming to an end quickly and other than a consulting project for local (Philly) pharma firm, I'm unemployed and need some projects to fill the 30,000 word semester I'm just getting finished with.
:)
BTW, I did a bunch of engineering consulting on the F22 project at Lockheed in West Fort Worth.

Originally posted by Gunkie
I did a bunch of engineering consulting on the F22 project at Lockheed in West Fort Worth.

This is such a lovely place, with the gusty wind, all the dust and pollen and pollution in the air, and those wonderful 105 degree summer days, why would anyone want to leave?

Too bad we didn't get started posting on TRF when you still lived down here, we could have launched a few together!

I never lived there (W. Fort Worth), I just commuted from Philadelphia for about two weeks/month for a year. I was a consultant on the logic verification, testability analysis, and fault simulation of specific avionic modules (non-RF, digital only).

I liked it there. I never launched rockets while I was in the area, but I did rock climb quite a bit at a spot near Altus (sp?), OK. Some of the best granite East of Yosemite!

Welcome to TFR Gunkie!
Injection molding, will be fairly expensive, but there are other options depending of the size and and over all shape of the cones your interested in. I do a fair amount of casting both soild and "slush" casting on some of the larger stuff (BT-80 and 101). This also is kind of expensive and Does take some practice and wasted casting to get right:( I recently found and purchased a small vacuum forming table that has really be a blast to play with. www.warmplastic.com is the link they offer several size tables you can use with your oven. I'm actually using a large toaster oven that has worked out fine with 9 x 11 sheets of .020" styrene. OBTW .020 white styrene is available just about everywhere from commerial plastic distributors and plastic fabrication shops in 40" x 72" sheets for about 4.00 so you can mess up a bunch and not have lost alot:)
Hope this helps a little

I save a ton of money by carving my own noses out of blocks of balsa ordered from the web. https://www.nationalbalsa.com
i use a hobby knife, 1 inch chisel, and sandpaper, and they come out nearly-perfect(of course, there are some flukes) I also drill a hole in the bottom to save weight, and put the shock cord. They are just as good as plastic noses, and more durable.

Sorry: I added the link but it didn't come out in the post???

Pretty Cool for $40.00! It works much better then I (Lathe snob) thought possibly for a device costing that little money! A great deal for a causal turner:D As long as you have a 1/4" or 3/8" Drill with a lock on feature.

Back