Custom Mini Christmas tree rocket build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Motor eject (with a streamer taped on) can also make it tumble slower.
For the odd little beasts I sometimes just connect everything with shock cord and break it apart in the air. Physics does its thing and it all comes down like flotsam. Here is one that really works well with that concept (which, now that I look at it, is representative of Christmas, too, sort of...:

1670446240806.jpeg

1670446306935.jpeg

For the odd little beasts I sometimes just connect everything with shock cord and break it apart in the air. Physics does its thing and it all comes down like flotsam. Here is one that really works well with that concept (which, now that I look at it, is representative of Christmas, too, sort of...:

View attachment 549766

View attachment 549768
I CAN recall that one because I love it! :D :clapping:

View attachment 549766

View attachment 549768
I grew with canned cranberry sauce. As a married adult my wife made "real" cranberry sauce from real cranberries, I didn't know what it was. I liked the jellied can style better, complete with the ridges left over from being in the can!

Ordered the tree but Amazon came back with problems and then had a delivery date that would make it uncomfortable to get it done before Christmas. Will visit HL and get a sub.

Oh [groan], now I have to build one. And have it ready by next Saturday. I already have a flying Christmas candle. Built it years ago, before I knew what I was doing. I made the fins to small. Needed a bunch of nose weight. The nose cone is a plastic light bulb.

20221211_023859[1633].jpg

To be honest, using a Christmas tree is MUCH harder than I had thought given the stupid metal wire trunk right down the middle, the funny base and the wonky tip. :p

I even brainstormed using 3 BT5 tubes with transitions to a single tube on both sides to send the ejection charge to the top. Ummm...probably needlessly complicated and not for now.

To be honest, using a Christmas tree is MUCH harder than I had thought given the stupid metal wire trunk right down the middle, the funny base and the wonky tip. :p

I even brainstormed using 3 BT5 tubes with transitions to a single tube on both sides to send the ejection charge to the top. Ummm...probably needlessly complicated and not for now.

Yes, anything that makes an ornamental tree will have to be wickered. I did it by making my 'tree only' rocket a tumble recovery. Piping the ejection charge up seems doable but would have to cover all the tubing (or make it camouflaged). I have a candidate sitting on my desk just daring me to screw with it.

Was thinking about a streamer and rear ejection.

Also a warning that even my little tree weighs in around 160 grams with tree, base, lights and two AAA batteries (no motor), so it seems it'll need a C5-3 (which I don't have) or D12 minimum based on Estes motor chart. Given that, an 18" one will need much more.

Last edited:
Some pics so far and these are worth 1,000 brainstorm thoughts :p
20221211_202140.jpg
20221211_231100.jpg

So I found that I had some 18mm C12 & D16 Q-Jets and that makes things much better in my case since I was concerned about using the bigger, heavier 24mm motors.

I figure I'll go the two prong approach to double my chances of success since this is quite tricky!

I'll also try using a Viking Bulk kit for the clear tree and will try having both with lights.

I was at Hobby Lobby today and they had 60% off Christmas stuff...spotted some potential rocket projects! :D

These have lights!
20221210_122112.jpg

Heaps of base drag. I'd say stick a composite F into it and go. 🤔

I was at Hobby Lobby today and they had 60% off Christmas stuff...spotted some potential rocket projects! :D

These have lights!
View attachment 550271
View attachment 550272

Smaller version too.

View attachment 550273

These may be too easy...
View attachment 550274

Mini plastic trees that light up!

View attachment 550275
They had this size at my HL. Kinda cool and would make a great night launch. Takes two AAA but overall it is not terribly heavy - 104 grams with batteries. I might gut this one and make it fly as a rocket in itself. However, as a nose on a night rocket it has possibilities.

20221213_132154.jpg

They had this size at my HL. Kinda cool and would make a great night launch. Takes two AAA but overall it is not terribly heavy - 104 grams with batteries. I might gut this one and make it fly as a rocket in itself. However, as a nose on a night rocket it has possibilities.

View attachment 550752
Yup, that's my secondary attempt one. What I especially like about it is that the lights are very easily removed and actually very "light" :p and can be used in the regular tree rocket.

Back