Custom - Galileo (#10012) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A pretty nifty design I wanted to downscale this Custom rockets creation for a while.
bought a couple of the kits and went from there. I've alway likes tapered body rockets and this one does not disappoint.
Based on T3 body tubing this little jewel is very quick off the pad, draggy as all gee-wiz it doesn't go all that high before kicking the motor and feather weight floating back to the ground.

Post copied with permission

MM 320p01b-sm_MM Galileo Satellite Complete_09-08-06.jpg

MM 320lp01c-sm_Micro Galileo Flt test 3 pic_09-06-06.jpg

MM 320lp02a-sm_MM Galileo on Pad_09-16-06.jpg

MM 320lp02b-sm_MM Galileo Ignition_09-16-06.jpg

MM 320lp02c-sm_MM Galileo GONE!_09-16-06.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a Galileo because I liked the tiny size, unique design and nice deco.

I thought the huge stand-off and launch lug ruined the sleek look of the thing, so I put the launch lug inside, and the port that reveals it looks a little like there's an anti-satellite laser hiding in it! I also painted the nose cone Valspar metallic red, and the body Krylon silver. Leftover Estes decals supplemented the really nice Custom kit's decals, giving me some bulkheads and vented panels to give the thing a nice 1960s look.

Galileo build downsized.jpg

Galileo Launch Lug Mod Downscale.jpg

Galileo Main Body Downscale.jpg

Galileo Launch Lug hull Downscale.jpg

Galileo Backside Downscale.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Galileo because I liked the tiny size, unique design and nice deco.

I thought the huge stand-off and launch lug ruined the sleek look of the thing, so I put the launch lug inside, and the port that reveals it looks a little like there's an anti-satellite laser hiding in it! I also painted the nose cone Valspar metallic red, and the body Krylon silver. Leftover Estes decals supplemented the really nice Custom kit's decals, giving me some bulkheads and vented panels to give the thing a nice 1960s look.

Great idea-- Very, Very Nice--Well done !!

Sadly, I lost the rocket in tall weeds at the launch a week or so after I built it. Never recovered. :(

Welcome to the Custom - Galileo (#10012) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Custom - Galileo (#10012) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Custom: Galileo: #10012

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Custom Galileo (#10012) Basic Information.

custom.gif
Custom Rockets

Galileo, Galileo Probe

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount:
Recovery: Helicopter
Stages: 1
Length: 8"
Diameter: 1.325"
Span:
Weight: 0.4 oz

Mfg. Description: Text illegible in 1994 Catalog

=====

Explore futuristic planets with Galileo. Galileo can quickly launch from most space exploration craft and quickly gather information about distant planets, either by landing or by orbiting. This can greatly reduce the risk of endangering an entire mission by unsafe conditions. Our model is based on what such a futuristic probe might look like. Galileo goes up like a rocket, flips over, and comes down like a helicopter! Model features detailed 2 color water-slide decal, balsa fins, hardwood dowel and balsa nose cone. (Custom 1998 Catalog)

custom-gallileo-1994%20cat%20livery.jpg
Custom 1994 Catalog
custom-gallileo-1998%20cat%20livery.jpg
Custom 1998 Catalog

custom-gallileo-2007%20web%20livery.jpg
Custom 2007 Web Ad

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Just figured out I got one of these as well! Got it in a garage sale box along with a really beat up Apogee II.

I also hate the LL standoff. I'll have to see if I can retro-fit it inside. Yours looks great that way!!

Attachments

• P1030597.jpg
    P1030597.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 39
Just figured out I got one of these as well! Got it in a garage sale box along with a really beat up Apogee II.

I also hate the LL standoff. I'll have to see if I can retro-fit it inside. Yours looks great that way!!

I couldn't stand to put that massive standoff on my micro Galileo either. it was just to ugly! Fitting the LL along the motor tube is really not that big a deal.
If you have a long 1/8" or 9/64" drill bit, layout a straight line along the main body tube along a fin/body joint.

Drill the first hole in the centering ring, glued centered over the line (I chose a fin/body joint to make alignment easier). Slide the body shroud onto the model, I used a fin joint & shroud seam line as the outside edge mark (offset 1/16") from the center line carefully hand turning the bit until it penetrates the cardstock shroud while laying in the body/fin joint. Glued in place this opening is reinforced with a long 1/8" Launch Lug or straw of your choosing. A sharpened and stropped X-acto or new razor blade is used to trim the LL to follow the shroud shape. a little glue can be added to the edge/shroud joint, sanded lightly and smoothed to just about hide the opening. A small round needle file can be used to gently reshape the forward interior of the lug opening making it an easy slide-on lug.
Sorry this fuzzy test launch photo is the only construction pic I took of this downscaled model. I think this little alteration makes a Big difference on the looks of the very interesting model.

MM 320-lp01a1-sm_Micro Galileo Primed test flt_09-06-06.jpg

Last edited:
I've built, and lost, two of these so far. I'm hoping to find another one some time, or maybe I'll just have to clone it. I did the integrated launch lug on the second one, and it did work pretty well.

custom-galileo.jpg

custom-galileo-2.jpg

Back