Custom Electronics Bay Sled Service?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steinerino

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Working on my Level 3 project and the available sleds don't fit what I am planning. I don't have a 3D printer or design software (I have been creating paper templates!). Is there a service that can work with me to make a custom sled?

Shoot Andrew from Additive Aerospace an email and ask him. I think he has done customs for people before....

Working on my Level 3 project and the available sleds don't fit what I am planning. I don't have a 3D printer or design software (I have been creating paper templates!). Is there a service that can work with me to make a custom sled?
Make it out of a sheet of g10 or plywood.
A certification rocket is intended to demonstrate your competence.

Not to pick a fight or derail the thread, but wow....
I agree with the statement, but that does not make it reality.
Nor would buying a sled indicate incompetence.
I agree; buying a sled doesn’t demonstrate a lack of skill, but, at least for me, building my own for my L3 certification rocket was an enjoyable part of the certification process. I had to figure out how I wanted to accomplish redundancy and mount batteries, incorporate switches, connect to terminal strips, and accommodate charge canisters.

Where does that line get Drawn? If you buy a kit vs scratch built does that show incompetence?
No, not at all. That certainly wasn’t what I meant. For me a huge part of the experience was designing the avionics bay and sled. I think solving design problems is an important and enjoyable element of L3 certification, but I wouldn’t fail a person who used a commercial sled.
Having someone else assemble parts of an L3 certification rocket does go too far though.

Honestly, the actual sled is easy. It's the rest of the AV bay that's the work... drilling, wiring, etc., especially if you're using screw switches or pullpin switches and you need to line up holes in the switch band with the sled. Epoxying a few pieces of tubing to a fiberglass sled blank to square up with the allthreads isn't much of a chore.

Like this? 😉😉

Attachments

• 20221221_162118.jpg
    20221221_162118.jpg
    889.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20221221_164259.jpg
    20221221_164259.jpg
    919.5 KB · Views: 2
Providing a bit more context as to the project. I hope to have redundant power and altimeters in a 3 inch av bay but also contain a featherweight tracker as well as a video camera. The rocket is a head end deploy - so I need the featherweight as far forward as possible for best possible transmission (the body tube is carbon fiber). For the camera, I plan on creating an acrylic window in the switch band and therefore need a perch for it to angle downwards thru the window. A flat piece of fiberglass is certainly an option -- but would not be as elegant as a custom crafted sled (that I plan to draw out on paper). I have laid out the pieces on paper to simulate currently available sleds and can't make them work (need more room). I will also have to make a few changes to the basic kit in terms of coupler length and switch band width. So my goal is to have all the details specified before I order.

Providing a bit more context as to the project. I hope to have redundant power and altimeters in a 3 inch av bay but also contain a featherweight tracker as well as a video camera. The rocket is a head end deploy - so I need the featherweight as far forward as possible for best possible transmission (the body tube is carbon fiber). For the camera, I plan on creating an acrylic window in the switch band and therefore need a perch for it to angle downwards thru the window. A flat piece of fiberglass is certainly an option -- but would not be as elegant as a custom crafted sled (that I plan to draw out on paper). I have laid out the pieces on paper to simulate currently available sleds and can't make them work (need more room). I will also have to make a few changes to the basic kit in terms of coupler length and switch band width. So my goal is to have all the details specified before I order.
that's a bunch of stuff in a 3" rocket. see what Terry can whip up for ya. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100064216774497

Lots of 3D printing services out there, or check your local library or junior colleges or maker spaces. Often they have a 3D printer you can checkout, rent, etc. and often will even help you print things.

Design work? OnShape is pretty easy to get into (its all web based, and just sign up free) that does 3D cad design. Since you start with drawing onto sheets and then extruding, etc. from there if you have paper templates it should be pretty easy to translate.

I agree; buying a sled doesn’t demonstrate a lack of skill, but, at least for me, building my own for my L3 certification rocket was an enjoyable part of the certification process. I had to figure out how I wanted to accomplish redundancy and mount batteries, incorporate switches, connect to terminal strips, and accommodate charge canisters.
Concur.

From what I view here, I'd say very few people are skilled in ALL aspects of rocketry.
I cert'ed L3 on a rocket I didn't paint....but I spec'ed the paint job.

I think the OP has more than enough "design" into his sled request - he's just looking for somebody who can execute his design.

Honestly, the actual sled is easy. It's the rest of the AV bay that's the work... drilling, wiring, etc., especially if you're using screw switches or pullpin switches and you need to line up holes in the switch band with the sled. Epoxying a few pieces of tubing to a fiberglass sled blank to square up with the allthreads isn't much of a chore.

Literally THIS!!!

I know what Steve meant as well and I think this was actually the embodiment of it, though not to speak for him.

I have a few sleds from Andrew, I love them. The overwhelming majority of mine though are built from scratch from G10 plate, aluminum tubing, JB weld, etc.

I also find building the sled and the AV bay on my own to be one of the most challenging parts and the most enjoyable parts of rocket building.

Here is my rough mock up of what I would like to create. I am certain that I can adjust the layout of the items better -- and also need to consider the fill 3-D aspects inside the booster. Thanks for the recommendations. I am reaching out to see if I can collaboratively design this to an have it made. Sled Front.jpgSled Front Perch Lifted.jpgSled Back Model.jpg

Here is my rough mock up of what I would like to create. I am certain that I can adjust the layout of the items better -- and also need to consider the fill 3-D aspects inside the booster. Thanks for the recommendations. I am reaching out to see if I can collaboratively design this to an have it made. View attachment 553230View attachment 553231View attachment 553232
The paper cutout method is a great tried and tested way of working the position of things out. I've laid out a workshop with a couple of lathes, a mill and a drill press, storage, benches etc. So great for boxy flatish plane things. An ebay is a volume with a curved roof that you're trying to fit a few non standard boxes in to. This is why the cad programs are better to speed up fixing any issues before they become one.
There is a free program called OpenSCAD and I've got a basic sled designer interface to it that I've posted before. Search my posts.
Good luck with the cert attempt.
edit: here it is https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/norms-scad-file-repository-and-3d-printing.170781/post-2312842
Norm

Jason at LOC precision may be able to cut you one out of plywood to the dimensions you need. They are easy to assemble. You’ll just need to add all thread.

Attachments

• 94FB1CBE-3317-49CC-A444-C0936D64BE7F.jpeg
    94FB1CBE-3317-49CC-A444-C0936D64BE7F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 34C4CC0A-26D2-4A00-93CA-3655982B9DBE.jpeg
    34C4CC0A-26D2-4A00-93CA-3655982B9DBE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 4EC4DC25-4B4E-429B-B8B9-E1AFB35203EA.jpeg
    4EC4DC25-4B4E-429B-B8B9-E1AFB35203EA.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Back