Custom Balsa Nose Cone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyrockets

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I don't have a lathe so I'm looking for an individual or a manufacturer to make a custom balsa nose cone. I'm looking for a BNC-50J scaled up to fit a BT-80 body tube. A BNC-80J if you will.

I've contacted Balsa Machining only to find that they no longer do custom work. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated!

Many Thanks....

Oh hell, I'm about to fall down, but there is a guy named Gordy on here that does the best custom work, so type in a search for "Gordon" or "Gordy" and you'll find him involved in plenty of threads. He's the pro, and can probably get you what you need.
He made me a decal set for a BBZ that was so nice I did not even use it!
He's in the Vendor Section under some name too, but go with him if you want a good piece turned.

Last edited:
He made me a really nice hardwood cone...he hollowed it, installed an eybolt, stained it, and covered it with UV clearcoat. Great work!

Hi Everyone,

I don't have a lathe so I'm looking for an individual or a manufacturer to make a custom balsa nose cone. I'm looking for a BNC-50J scaled up to fit a BT-80 body tube. A BNC-80J if you will.

I've contacted Balsa Machining only to find that they no longer do custom work. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated!

Many Thanks....

I was looking for the same thing earlier this week, so as to build an upscaled Airborne Surveillance Missile. Gord is your best bet, since that's not one that Semroc offers an upscale of. I've had him make several nose cones and transitions for me, always first rate stuff. And fast.

Super helpful. Email sent to Gorden Agnello.

BNC-80J is indeed for an upscale of the Airborne Surveillance Missie.

Thanks Everyone!

Screen Shot 2016-09-09 at 7.12.46 AM.png

Last edited:
Super helpful. Email sent to Gorden Agnello.

BNC-80J is indeed for an upscale of the Airborne Surveillance Missie.

Thanks Everyone!

The specifications you sent me called for weight under 4.7oz.

Final weight without paint is 4.5oz!:wink:

Hope the guy that supposed to pay , doesnt become a 'runner'

Kenny

Sandman, if he doesn't take the nose cone.
Send me a PM, I hate to see a good nose cone go to waste!

Give the guy a chance. He just emailed me this morning.

Not everyone sits at their computer all day waiting for emails.

Here's a pic of the finished cone. The right side shows it hollowed out to lighten it to 4.5oz.BNC 80J NC.JPG

Last edited:
Give the guy a chance. He just emailed me this morning.

Not everyone sits at their computer all day waiting for emails.

Here's a pic of the finished cone. The right side shows it hollowed out to lighten it to 4.5oz.View attachment 301139

Payment sent. Amazing, from initial email at 9:36 PM yesterday to shipping today at 2:00 PM!

This one's mine. I'm sure Gord would be happy to sell a few more of these to anyone who is interested! : )

Thank you Gord and everyone for pointing me in the right direction.

Glen

Attachments

• BNC 50J UPPED TO BT 80.jpg
    BNC 50J UPPED TO BT 80.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Back