Custom 4” Mercury Redstone Build w/38 mm Boyce Aerospace Hobbies/LOC Precision

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloyd Leichentritt

Laserlloyd
Reaction score
First, I would like to thank Alex at BAH for all the help in getting custom fins and putting together all the pieces I needed.
Next, a huge thanks go out Jason “Jay” Turicik at LOC Precision for custom cutting my tubes and getting my custom invoice set up.
Also Mark Hayes from StickerShock23 and Buddy Michaelson at Rocketman Parachutes.

I first started on getting an overall design in my CAD to go over what I needed to order from BAH/LOC.

Here is the rough overall design I came up with:
MR overall Dims.jpg

Next is the custom through the wall fin detail. I did not feel comfortable with going with gluing the just to the body tube so I had some tabs added to the root to be expoyed to the MMT.
MR MMT Fin Dims.jpg

Mail Call Time:

After all the emails and getting everything ordered I to receive all my parts:
20200622_114706.jpg

Instead of going with one 60" chute that BAH suggests, I went with 3 24" Apollo chutes from Buddy at Rocketman
I call this the WOW factor when it deploys... PS. bundles up nice with my JLCR wrapped in a 12" Nomex chute protector.
20200703_153059.jpg

I first started on the BAH tower by sanding all the items. I did my test fit then started gluing. I ended up using BSI Maxi-Cure Extra Thick and Kicker for assembling the tower. I think it came out good as I just did a Tac first. After fully dried I added more at all the joints, let it dry again, and cleaned up with some sanding around the joints.

Here is my tower next to my Estes MR tower.
20200623_222058.jpg

38 mm MMT time:

Next started on the 38 mm MMT from LOC. I installed the Eye-bolt and the T-nut to the forward and aft rings. I marked to ring location and expoyed the rings with 15 min. I then test fit the MMT and marked the fin locations
20200702_211238.jpg

I will be using Rocketpoxy to mount the fins and so I don't have any seepage dripping down the tube I cut up some 1/8 " balas wood and 5 min expoyed then around the fin location to at as a well to prevent the Rocketpoxy interfering with the other locations.
20200702_222240.jpg

Test fit the fins to the MMT showing how the wells will work
20200702_231332.jpg

Fin Time:

Here are the fins I had BAH custom make with a leading root tab to go through the body tube and mount to the MMT.
20200623_001249.jpg

I had to sand the tabs to fit in the slots in the body tube as they were a little too thick. I also lightly sanded the surface of the fins to get the 3D printing line out. I didn't take it all the way smooth as I will be using 2 in1 primmer and filler that with help the rest of the way.
Here is my test fit of the fins
20200702_231140.jpg

Looks great! I would buy a kit like your, if it was available.
I can make a parts list for all the parts I ordered. Frankly, it was a just few emails with Jay and Alex for most of it. I will say as far as building this it is a very easy and fast rocket to build. Thanks for the kind word and let me know and I will post a complete parts list.

Thanks Lloyd. When you have time i would like the parts list and contact info for Alex. I have contact info for LOC and StickerShock23.

MMT installation time:

I first looped a string through the Eye-Bolt to be used later to pull the Kevlar shock cord through.
20200702_231614.jpg

Next, before mounting the MMT I pull the string back through the MMT
20200702_231857.jpg

Now I installed the MMT using 15 min epoxy. I marked the inside of the tube then used a Q-tip taped to a rod I have to epoxy the forward ring location. I then insert the forward ring past the center ring and apply epoxy for the center ring. I then push the center ring in and apply epoxy in the tube for the Aft ring. Push the Aft ring in and rotate to align the fin marks to the slot in the body tube. After dried I add more to the inside forward ring and repeated this with a light coat in the AFT ring as this is flush and don't want a heavy build-up to interfere with the fins when mounted.

I pull the string back through and tie one end to the kevlar shock cord and pull it through the Eye-Bolt
20200703_192739.jpg

I pull the other end of the shock cord through the loop
20200703_192912.jpg

Then just pull the cord so the end of the loop is tight around the Eye-bolt...
20200703_192951.jpg

Couper Time:

I added a little alcohol to thin out the 15 min epoxy and spread an even coat to the inside of the upper tube. After dried, I repeated this for the lower section. I add just a little to the coupler by the seam to get a nice joint when butted together. I removed the excess but used my gloved fiber dipped in alcohol to smooth out the remaining epoxy around the seam.
20200703_231015.jpg

I'm all ready for primmer but no one had what I needed so I ordered it on Amazon and gee have to wait now 2 weeks for the Rust-Oleum 2 In 1 Filler and Sandable Primer.

My plan it to us this fill the LOC grooves and around the seam making a nice smooth surface. I will be mounting the Fins first and will show that next when I have that completed.

How thick you smear the filler on is directly proportional to how much sanding you will do!
Good I would like to sand it once with one good coat then have to do it again. After I sand it and prime it again will show me if I made best choice. I used the Emmer's Probound Wood Filler watered down.

Good I would like to sand it once with one good coat then have to do it again. After I sand it and prime it again will show me if I made best choice. I used the Emmer's Probound Wood Filler watered down.

I usually finding sanding Rustoleum Filler Primer is much easier and faster than sanding any type of filler. I just use the filler primer for 2 thick coats and sand the high spots down to the tube each coat and only take about 1/2 of the third coat off. I just gave up on using filler over the years. I also gave up on anything better than a 15 ft paint job.

Have fun!

Parts List for My 4” Mercury Redstone

Items from Boyce Aerospace Hobbies:
1-Mercury Redstone Capsule Kit
1/17.5 for 3.90 Tube
1- Mercury Redstone Fins Custom with added throw the wall tab
17.5 (3.90 Tube)
2- Mercury Redstone Pull Plugs
17.5 (3.90 Tube)
2 Mercury Redstone Rail Guides
17.5 (3.90 Tube)

LOC Precision Parts List
1--3.90” Airframe Tubing (cut to 19.61”) SKU: BT-3.90
1--3.90” 4 Slotted AirFrame Tubing (cut to 19.61”) SKU: SBT3.90
-(Slot 1/4"X3.00”, ½” from the end)(Tubes custom cut)
1--3.90” tube coupler SKU: TC-3.90L
1--Centering rings for BT-3.90 to 38mm SKU: CR-390-38
1-- 1900lb test 1/4″ tubular Kevlar 25′ with end sewn loops. SKU: KV-25-25
1--1/8″ Quick Link SKU: CEC-1
3-- Ball Bearing Swivel

Rocketman Parachutes
3--2ft. Apollo 11 NASA Parachute
1--12” x 12” Chute Protector

That's it... Not too bad. The only thing I have not added will be the nose weight that goes in the nose cone.

All the building supplies is up too you.

Hope this helps out

Thank You Lloyd!!!!!!!! I'll have to buy things a little bit at a time, but with the list, it will that much easier. Again, Thank You!!!!
The full kit that Boyce has come with 2 29 mm rings. I just wanted to see it on a 38 mm so here I am in the middle of this.
I sanded the filler then another coat of sandable primer. Look lots better. Going to let that dry do a lite sanding and a last coat of primer.20200708_205721.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning Lloyd. My parts for the Mercury Redstone are coming in a little at a time. I should have everything by Fri. Have you gotten your paint yet? Thanks Greg Olson

I did the first coat of prime and filled in the spirals then sanded. I ordered some of the 2 in 1 sandable primer and it should be here on Friday. I will shoot it this weekend and sand it. depending on how it looks I may go with another prime. once the Tube is done then I will epoxy the fins then paint. When I do the paint I'm going to take my time and do one coat, wait 24 hours, wet sand and repeat. planning on 3 coats of the white then mask for the black.

Thanks for letting me know, that's great you ordered all your parts. Should be a fun build for you. I was going through an old box I have and found the lower section of the tower from one of my Estes MR I built 30 years ago....

I received the 2-1 Primer and just did a coat of that. Will let that dry for at least 24 hours then sand. Depending on how it looks eighter another coat or epoxy the fins the pain. I'll take a photo after I sand it.

Back