Quantcast

Custom 4” Mercury Redstone Build w/38 mm Boyce Aerospace Hobbies/LOC Precision

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

n27sb

N27SB
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Good I would like to sand it once with one good coat then have to do it again. After I sand it and prime it again will show me if I made best choice. I used the Emmer's Probound Wood Filler watered down.
That is a good choice, If you are using a filler such as epoxy and microspheres multiple coats will give you hard and soft areas as you fill and feather out. This is because the sanded areas absorb epoxy from the subsequent layers because they are now more porous. It will start to look like the rings on a tree stump. As the end product shrinks the rings will print through the finished paint.

Lloyd Leichentritt

Laserlloyd
Reaction score
Thanks, Steve, I have read a thread here on painting your rocket and the best advice was to let it dry between coasts and wet sand in each time. I could be happier in how the white came out.

All that Black:

I used Tamaya masking tape to get all the main detail masked off around the fins. I filled it with my blue tape then wrapped the body. The masking around the fins was challenging. After letting it dry I peeled the tape. I had a couple of spots that bleed through a little and I touched that off by hand-painted those spots, look OK to me... Going to let everything sit for a while then I have decided to Clear it with SpayMax 2k Gloss clear. The capsule will have to be done in a flat clear.

Don't think I mentioned it before but I had drilled 4 vent hole before the white paint for my Altimeter 3. They are in-line with each fin in the upper section of the body tube. They are hidden mostly in the black section of the upper wrap and you can hardly see them.

Here she is before the clear. Not bad looking if I say so my self.
20200802_174341.jpg

Last edited:

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely gorgeous! If I built something this nice, I'd probably put it on my desk... once it was dragged through the playa at Lucerne Dry Lake by the wind it would never be the same.

ThePlmbr

Reaction score
Good morning Lloyd. Have you had a chance to fly it yet? Greg

Lloyd Leichentritt

Laserlloyd
Reaction score
Update, cleared with SpayMay 2K clear. I wanted that extra protection then all those enamel clear. It looks really good. I bring her to the next Right Stuff launch in Muncie next month. I have decided to pop the capsule with it own chute and one of my 24" chutes as a drouge then 3- 36" mains at 400 ft