Currently working on a 0.03 Scale, two-stage Nike-Hercules from scratch.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Building off R.S. Barker and Peter Alway plans and Google Images. I also made a trip to Peterson AFB in Colorado Springs, CO this Summer and saw a static modified display there. It was in pretty good shape. I want to visit SF-88.

The Herc is a favorite for just about everyone!!! I've had a big-un on the board for a couple years. 4-24's and a 29 looks to be a cloud buster but that whole 24 cato thing is a problem. ---H---When you get going post the pics !

most definatley post pictures of the build!
this has to be my favorite rocket. im debating TLP kit or scratch build this winter.

For the Booster (STA 299.13 to STA 469.97) I used (4) BT-50's/0.990". I used Bondo from STA 332.312 to STA 229.130 to make the shape of the "4 to 1 transition".

The Actual Sustainer has varied slopes and tubes. I just used (1) BT-60/1.640". And one Estes nose cone from 3 pack #3165 - The sharpest nose cone. (STA 0.00 to STA 134.76).

24mm/18mm motor, 18/18, 18/13?

Last edited:
All "E" size engines. First Flight I will try; Booster: (4) E12-0, Sustainer: (1) E16-3. Comments/Suggestions/Recommendations please.

What method are you using for booster recovery? The reason I ask is that booster by itself will be very stable so there won't be any tumble recovery, it will require a parachute or it becomes a lawn dart. I would convert at least one if not two of the booster motor tubes into parachute bays at the top and use a short delay motor instead of E12-0 in those two tubes.

Last edited:
Sorry, 0.03 Scale was used for my first/test build. (Not shown) It's length=14.5". The scale used on this build is actually 0.07169 / Length=34" - (See attached pics.).

I thought of using metallic streamers in booster tubes 2 and 4.

Personally I would use two 18" parachutes ( one in each of the two tubes you chose) in case one doesnt deploy. Stable boosters stage pretty well as the booster continues on a ballistic path as the sustainer accelerates away at least until the chutes deploy.

Last edited:
I thought of using metallic streamers in booster tubes 2 and 4 for a two-stage flight. For the first flight, I may devise a screw attachment method to secure the booster to the sustainer and just go with a single-stage clustered flight with no separation.

Last edited:
BTW the model looks awesome, I have a Launch Pad plan pack and all the parts to build one myself using four 29mm's to a 24 or 29mm sustainer, with electronic staging and deployment on both booster and sustainer.

I haven't weighed it yet. But I only used Bondo fill over thin art board shaped construction under the bondo veneer. The art board was rough and wavy, and the bondo only filled the surface to make smooth curved surfaces.

Thank you "rharshberger"! The thought of using (2) E12-0's in booster tubes 1 and 3 for the booster separation and (2) E12-3 +/-'s in booster tubes 2 and 4 for the booster recovery units is very good suggestion indeed.

Thank you "rharshberger"! The thought of using (2) E12-0's in booster tubes 1 and 3 for the booster separation and (2) E12-3 +/-'s in booster tubes 2 and 4 for the booster recovery units is very good suggestion indeed.

I have a much smaller SA-3 Goa fantasy/sport scale that uses rear eject and is flown with a cluster of 2x18mm ( typically a c6-5 and a c6-3) and a central 24mm D12-0 in the booster and a single D12-5 in the sustainer. The flight profile is similar to what you are building due to the stability of the booster. The D12s are gap staged similar to what you are doing, only they are both on the centerline. When I get a chance I will link the build thread on it along with the lessons learned.

Edit: Goa build and troubleshooting thread https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?70827-SA-3-Goa-Semi-Scale-2-Stage-with-Cluster-Booster

Last edited:
Back