Curious about MicroMaxx

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by graylensman, Jul 16, 2003.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Jul 16, 2003 #1

graylensman

graylensman

graylensman

My curiosity's been piqued...

Can anyone direct me to a good website for basics about MicroMaxx rockets? The only links I've gotten when googled are for hobby stores wanting to sell prefab ready-to-fly sets. We want information...

2. Jul 16, 2003 #2

Micromeister

Micromeister

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut TRF Lifetime Supporter TRF Supporter

Greylensman:
    ASP Aerospace Specialty Products. Has at least 5 Micro-Maxx Scale kits. ranging for 7 to 12 bucks as I recall.
    www.asp-rocketry.com
    Art Applewhite offers a few saucers for Micro-Maxx.
    www.artapplewhite.com
    QCR: offers about 8 different competition type Micro-Maxx models. http://cybertravelog.com/qcr/
    and of coarse Fliskits. Offers a few micro-kits some of which are free! http://fliskits.com

If you need plans, or other material Please visit the Micro-Maxx yahoo group. We now have at least 55 one page plans and at least that many photos of mostly scratch built Micro-models in ever category you can think of! The site is loaded with just about anything you may need concerning Micro-Maxx.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MicroMaxRockets/ Note the upper case MMR and single x in the address:)

3. Jul 16, 2003 #3

Austin

Austin

Austin

graylensman,

I highly recommend you build your own using parts from places like ASP. Also note that you can turn your own nosecones fast with a drill and wood dowel for material. If you do wish to try a starter kit, some of them actually fly well. The three and four fin basic models like the Quest Vector, Raw Fusion, Critical Mass and No Mercy actually fly pretty well.

Also, you may want to do a search for MicroMaxx at our forum right here...there is a wealth of knowlege regarding designing, building and launching MicroMaxx models that has been posted...you will spend hours looking and reading. They are a blast and the kids and I have no problem burning up a ton of motors in one sitting.

Keep us posted on your first MMX project and welcome to the forum! :)

Carl

4. Jul 16, 2003 #4

sandman

sandman

sandman

Everything those guys said is right on.

DO NOT buy the Micro Maxx Saturn V except for display!

It only flys about 8'....on a good day!

sandman

5. Jul 16, 2003 #5

Jase

Jase

Jase

Hey, mine flew to at least 15' once!

Before it broke the tower off on the asphalt.... stupid wind...

:D

The RTF models from Quest are nice for display. The tomahawk flies reasonably well. They do make great pieces for your desk at work. :D

6. Jul 16, 2003 #6

Larry

Larry

Larry

We have had one micromax rocket that being the SR-71. It didn't fly bad, but for some reason the little streamer wouldn't un wind. It came in on its nose and broke it off. I built a couple little rockets to use the rest of the motors up we had, but now my problem is I can't get them to ignite. Tried new batteries, cleaned the contacts, and still no flame on. Any suggestions:confused: :confused: .........Larry

7. Jul 16, 2003 #7

sandman

sandman

sandman

Don't bother with the Quest igniter.

Get a good 12v or larger system...a lot more "punch"

sandman

8. Jul 16, 2003 #8

Larry

Larry

Larry

OK, if I use 12v what igniters should I use? Those nozzles are to small for anything else. Would a small piece of wire work? Thanks......Larry

9. Jul 16, 2003 #9

sandman

sandman

sandman

Larry,

Use the igniters that come with the MicroMaxx motors.

Here is a little trick!

Crush up some pyrogen (match heads work) and mix them with a little clear model airplane dope. Then dip the MicroMaxx igniter into the mix so you get a little bit on the tip.

Just a little!

Works!

sandman

10. Jul 16, 2003 #10

rstaff3

rstaff3

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer

I use the stock igniters with the plastic shell removed, and a 12v controller. Hey, why not use what comes with the motors? Pyrogen isn't really necessary unless you are clustering and want to hedge your bets. I have never had one of these fail when hit with 12v. I have broken a couple during the extraction process. You can also use Estes igniters if you have extras, but you have to pick those that don't have much pyrogen.

If you want to continue using the 9v system, go the the Yahoo group and look around for battery discussion. Micromister tested a bunch and found one that worked far better than the others. I think it was the Energizer E^2 titanium IIRC. If you don't find it, I'm sure he will respond also. As you mentioned, make sure you keep the internal contacts clean.

11. Jul 16, 2003 #11

Micromeister

Micromeister

Micromeister

Bare nichome wire works just fine, keep it under 2" long. 30ga has proven to work best. I've see anything that will Heat work for single motors, even a single stands of copper wire from an old extension cord. Keep them short under 1" and use a 12 volt system with plain old everyday micro clips like this or something similar. If you want to use and Quest mmx igniters just bend the bottom wire hooks enought to get a micro clip on them and your set.

12. Jul 16, 2003 #12

Micromeister

Micromeister

Micromeister

Larry:
    the streamers really don't unwind from the piston, I've found if you want them to work most of the time, fold the streamer back on itself, half the length each time until it will only have a half warp or so around the piston. Sort of like folding a competition streamer.

If your going to stay with 9V the energizer E2 is the only way to go. the stats are listed in the files section on the micro-maxx group.
    another very easy way to convert your 9v quest contorller is a simple drop cord soldered to an old 9v batter top. heres a pic that might help. a complete conversion explaination and pictorial is listed in the files setion of the micro-maxx yahoo group

13. Jul 16, 2003 #13

sandman

sandman

sandman

I made up the pyrogen mix for my Nike Hurc. 4 engine cluster...I made a lot more than I needed so I did the rest of my igniters...waste not want not!

Just use a little on each. Just enough to fill UNDER the bend in the igniter. Try not to get too much on the outside or it won't fit.

sandman

14. Jul 16, 2003 #14

Larry

Larry

Larry

THANKS guys for all the help. I'm going to try your suggestions. My SR-71 is history, but I have a couple I built so I'll give things a try........Larry

15. Jul 16, 2003 #15

Jase

Jase

Jase

My SR-71 did the same thing.

If you can find the NC for it, just use some CyA and glue it on permanently. I used an x-acto knife to drill a small vent hole just in front of the motor area for ejection gases.

Works just fine. Just keep your eyes open when you launch it and make sure the dirt is soft. ;)

Also did that with one of my Tomahawk MMX birds, but it already had the vent hole.

16. Jul 16, 2003 #16

graylensman

graylensman

graylensman

Wow! looks like I unleashed a flurry of posts... :p

I'll be checking out the links - and posting more questions, i'm sure!

17. Jul 17, 2003 #17

Micromeister

Micromeister

Micromeister

graylenman:
    I just found Totally Tubular, now has a website www.totubular.com
    He is now stocking some micro maxx glider kits from Edmonds Aerospace, a micro delti and a micro IVEE as well as all the tubes, rings couplers, recovery materials, adhesives,kevlar, Etc. you could want, check em out.

18. Jul 17, 2003 #18

sandman

sandman

sandman

Totally Tubular tube are 34" long too!

One tube will do a LOT of rockets!!!

I got a bunch already.

sandman

19. Jul 17, 2003 #19

rstaff3

rstaff3

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer

Hmmm...unless I missed something, it is BMS that has the kits (?) Both offer tubes and stuff.

20. Jul 17, 2003 #20

Micromeister

Micromeister

Micromeister

Yeap ya missed something!
    I just looked at the web site. it's the 99 price list. I just placed an order with Jim, He e-mailed me a catalog updated 07-13-03 that lists the kits, and a bunch of other stuff not on the 99 list.

21. Jul 17, 2003 #21

rstaff3

rstaff3

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer

ICIC...too bad he didn't send a catalog with the HUGE club order we just did. Oh well. Hope you get as good a turnaround as we did.

22. Jul 18, 2003 #22

Larry

Larry

Larry

Well I finally had success with the Micro-Maxx. I used the igniters that came with the motors, but took them apart and hooked them to micro clips and 12V worked great. Had four good launches with my Micro Rag 1. Thanks all...I think I'll build a few more rockets to go with these motors............Larry

Oh, Sorry....no launch pictures. I'm just not fast enough with the digital camera:kill:

23. Jul 18, 2003 #23

Micromeister

Micromeister

Micromeister

Dick:
    I'd Post it here but I can't get the darn thing to download from my e-mail!!! The order is so small I'm sure he'll just stick it in a box. 100 CR 2+-3f MMX to T-3 .375" centering rings and a 1/8" carbon fiber rod.

Congrat Larry!
    May all your micro flying be as easy and fun. 10/4 on the digital launch pics are these little buggers quick or what!

24. Jul 18, 2003 #24

Austin

Austin

Austin

LArry,

Great job man...I hope your Micro Endeavours are just beginning as they are a blast to build and fly.

Carl

25. Jul 18, 2003 #25

Ryan S.

Ryan S.

Ryan S.

MMX are awsome!!...I fly them with my cousin in his backyard and we never lose them...

now if only I could build those perfect scale models like Carl!:cool:

26. Jul 18, 2003 #26

graylensman

graylensman

graylensman

Okay, I've spent a couple of days digging up info for getting started on MMX. I gather that I can use my current launch controller - an Estes 4AA unit. I found plans for a launch pad on Art Applewhite's site. He's got a parts list that includes everything except a black box with a little red triangular protuberance on top. What is this thing??

27. Jul 18, 2003 #27

rstaff3

rstaff3

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer

Looks to me to be the flame on a remore controlled butane lighter which is used in lieu of an igniter? :rolleyes:

You can wait for art to reply or email him direct.

28. Jul 18, 2003 #28

jflis

jflis

jflis

i beleive that is supposed to represent the tip of the ignitor... If you look closely at the bottom of the ignitor, you will see that the two ignitor leads are the same orange color.

jim

29. Jul 18, 2003 #29

Ryan S.

Ryan S.

Ryan S.

I agree with Jim. The MMX igniters look just like that. and the bottom does look alot like leads for the igniter

30. Jul 19, 2003 #30

Micromeister

Micromeister

Micromeister

Greylensman:
    If you have the Quest motors and igniters in hand look at one of the igniters.
    Art was trying to depict a Quest igniter instelled (clamped) in one of the two cloths pins. As Jim said the orange it the Nichrome parts of the igniter. the Black is the black plastic holder.