CupCake

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g-train

Reaction score
Yep, that's right! A rocket inspired by a stress ball shaped like a cupcake. Thank you, Dollar Tree - although you didn't have the crayon banks I was looking for.

Cell phone pics - sorry for the quality, we left the battery for our camera at a hotel a few months ago and just realized this. :(

Since Dollar Tree did not have what I was looking for (go figure), I decided not to let my trip go to waste and found something suitable for a rocket. Found a cupcake shaped stress ball and decided it was time to make an OddRoc.

The plan is to launch using a single 18mm motor, with tumble/bounce recovery. My hope is that, due to the heft of the stress ball, once apogee is hit, the rocket will (should) tumble nose first and bounce once it hits the ground. The cupcake is very spongy and feels like it will have some spring to it. (Insert concerns about safety here - I'm all for suggestions)

As you can see, I outlined the BT-55 after measuring and centering it to the bottom of the cupcake. I then proceeded to use my X-acto to slice the foam approximately 1-1.5". I used plenty of TiteBond II inside the BT and out, and am hoping and praying it will hold the two pieces together. Put together a motor mount and glued that up as well. Once this is dried to satisfaction, more will follow!

g-train

cupcake bottom.jpg

cupcake top.jpg

Cupcake.jpg

If you fling it around and the Titebond holds you are OK. If it breaks on landing then Silicon adhesive should work on the foam to paper bond. If that doesn't work then glop on some epoxy.

After plenty of Google and finding just the right cupcake drawing, I created a stencil for the fins of the CupCake rocket. 3/16 balsa, cut a few mm outside the lines w/ a coping saw and finished up with the Dremel sanding drum and 220 grit sanding paper. So far so good!

2013-11-16_01-49-23_117.jpg

Lol. Since the cupcake has been glued on..unfortunately, no. Though the video may be quite entertaining around those w/ motion sickness. However; if I carve out some of the cupcake...

Lol. Since the cupcake has been glued on..unfortunately, no. Though the video may be quite entertaining around those w/ motion sickness. However; if I carve out some of the cupcake...

That would be the icing on the cak....
Sorry, crummy pun

Straight Trails!

Tom

Back