Cub Scout Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prowlerguy

Reaction score
My Cub Scout Den just had a launch of their Estes X-Rays today. We all had a blast.

In order to appease the Forum Gods, I place these photos on the altar of Newton:

Great shots Prowlerguy! It's always great to see the kids involved. That's how I got back into it. Last year my youngest son's teacher took them out to launch rockets at school. He came home so excited about it all. It has been a great family event for us.

Regards,
Todd

It is always fun to work with the Scouts -- nice pictures!

Great pics prowlerguy, & neat to see you working with the kids.
How was the Gemini's maiden flight?
Mine blew the glue on the main NC on the first flight. It is now a conventional recovery single chute rocket.
Vance in AK.

Originally posted by Vance in AK
How was the Gemini's maiden flight?
Mine blew the glue on the main NC on the first flight. It is now a conventional recovery single chute rocket.
Vance in AK.

She flew twice, once on B6-4 and then on C6-3. Both were excellent flights with ejection right at apogee. Both times I got two chutes, but only one would inflate. I had cut a spill hole in both, but even so, one chute was enough to land it safely. I'm thinking two 4" X 40" mylar streamers would do just as well, and would ensure dual functioning recovery devices.

Awesome! We're planning on doing the same thing with my Cub Scout Den. FYI, when your boys move up, the requirements for the Space Exploration Merit Badge are the same. I finished it with my older boys troop earlier this year and am going to teach a couple more later. BTW, where did you get your rockets?

Doug

Excellent!! Thanks for the pics. I am sure that the Scouts liked the Xray.... that payload bay sure gets those little minds working...;)

Originally posted by jammer
Awesome! We're planning on doing the same thing with my Cub Scout Den. FYI, when your boys move up, the requirements for the Space Exploration Merit Badge are the same. I finished it with my older boys troop earlier this year and am going to teach a couple more later. BTW, where did you get your rockets?

Doug
I'll keep that in mind come March (they are Webelos II). I got the models from LaunchPad 2000 (aka Hobby Haven).

Great job on the X-rays! Don't forget Quest educator packs, Cheap! Cheap! Cheap! Streamer recovery models, easy builds for the cubs, very high flights on A and B motors. Call Quest direct they are very helpful to Scout and School groups! I think my Troop kept Quest, Estes and QCR busy for a couple years..Your turn now:D

While we can't compete with the prices offered by Quest and Estes, FlisKits offers the Rhino in bulk pack for educators and youth groups.

A good kit that teaches a lot of the basic skills of the hobby.
jim

Originally posted by jflis
FlisKits offers the Rhino in bulk pack for educators and youth groups

Jim, can you e-mail with the details on your bulk packs....... I have been considering trying to start a club at our local school..... I would like some info before I go to them ask if there is an interest..............

Hey Jim, could you do the same for me? I'm still just in the planning stages, but it sounds like a club could be a go, & I like the looks of the Rhino.
Thanks, Vance in AK.
[email protected]

Back