CTRA-NARCONN August 16th Launch - Who's Going?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patelldp

Reaction score
Anyone heading out to Cobleskill this weekend?

I'm bringing a few rockets to fly:

4" Fiberglass Lil' Nuke Upscale - 54/1050 J480F Clone and 54/1050 J250 Swamp Gas
4" Rocketry Warehouse Broken Arrow XP - 76/1700 K750 Blue
VBR Extreme 38 Clone - DPS G112 (24mm), 29/120 G45S
1.9" Bad Attitude Downscale - Several Options: 29mm 3G, 4G, 6G, 38mm 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G...

Hoping to locate my lost Performance Rocketry Intimidator 3 from last month. Still confused about that...

So, who's making the trip?

Had a great time with a great group of people!

The weather was pretty cooperative today, with the wind being a little more favorable than launches past. We flew out of a smaller field that is more up wind of where we have flown in the past and this appears to have helped us out with recoveries. Now, on to the flight report!

My first flight was my Wildman 5" Jart. This rocket is about as simple as it gets for me. 54mm mount with an Aeropack 38mm adapter, Raven1 in the nosecone, 60" Skyangle at apogee. Because of this, I like to keep it relatively low to the ground to prevent excessive walks. For this flight I also included a BRB tracker due to the high corn no far from where we were launching. The motor for this flight was a Strontium Carbonate red motor for my Kosdon 38-640 motor. The motor lifted the 11# Jart to a respectable 1,112' according to the Raven, where it deployed the parachute a second or two after apogee. I think this was caused by a slightly angled flight due to the rocket tilting into the wind. The rocket drifted down very slowly and it appeared to land in the corn. I grabbed my Yagi and radio and took off to the find the rocket. Lo and behold, the rocket landed in a strip of grass between two rows of corn! Easy recovery and the day was off to a good start!

Liftoff (launch pictures thanks to Brian McCormack):

Jart 1 Crop.jpg

A little further up...

Jart 2 Crop.jpg

Fortunate landing spot. If you look you can see the yellow of the Skyangle.

Jart Landing.jpg

Second flight of the day was a bit of retribution. Last month in Cobleskill I flew my Intimidator 3 on a 54-1400 Sparky. The flight was perfect but I was unable to find the rocket despite having a visual on it before it went over a slight hill. I built this 4" Lil Nuke upscale to replace the Intimidator and fly to ~2,800' on a 54-1050 specifically for Cobleskill. The rocket didn't disappoint on the Kosdon clone for the 1050, figuring out to a J472 (startlingly close to Kosdon's J480 for the same case). A fairly quick boost for a 15# rocket was capped off by the typical spurt of black smoke at burnout of the low(er) solids Kosdon loads. At apogee it appears that my nosecone was popped off despite three #2 shear pins, but the main did not deploy until it was supposed to at 700'. The rocket landed in the field, BARELY. The rocket went to 2,603' according to the ARTS2 (sorry Pete...we can talk a swap or something at a later date!). I am happy with this rocket's performance on this motor impulse and it will make a name for itself in Cobleskill over the years..

Liftoff, motor signature looks correct for a Kosdon!

Nuke Cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Having just flown a rocket to 2,600' and having it land upwind on the field, I decided that I could push a little higher and have a safe recovery. I had brought a 54-1750 red and a 76-1700 blue for my Rocketry Warehouse Broken Arrow XP but wasn't sure if I'd fly them. I decided on the 76-1700 as another form of retribution...it is the same formula that burned through my 76-6000 at URRF. This time I turned a bulkhead that fit my liners better and used a lot more grease when I built the motor. The rocket lifted off pretty slowly due to the short nature of the motor (1.5 grains) while the motor burned for about 3.2s, making it a K531. At burnout the rocket gave a little wiggle. I'm really not too keen on the fins on this rocket, they are small and the split only hurts the stability. I've debated filling them in to make them a single fin but I haven't thought of a good way to do this and have it look good.

The rocket coasted to an altitude of 3,970' according to the ARTS2 and 3,880' according the RRC3, for an average of 3,925' at 492 ft/s. Dual deployment was as intended, with the 60" Skyangle deploying at 700'. The rocket drifted to the opposite edge of the field that the Nuke landed on, so I plugged the GPS coordinates into my Garmin and off I went. I parked at a local business and began navigating...when my phone rings. Apparently the rocket had landed draped across the road and was adversely affecting traffic and a homeowner had grabbed it. I had written my phone number on the coupler in the event of such an occurrence, and it paid off! I chatted with him for a few minutes and expressed my appreciation for his call. One of my best recoveries to date, certainly the most friendly.

Liftoff:

BAXP1.jpg

Further up:

BAXP2.jpg

We also had a visitor from the forum..Connor McGrath and his Calvin & Hobbes rocket. He flew the combined stack once and just the booster (or maybe it was the sustainer?) once. I'll let him fill you all in on the details, but here's a pad video of the single stage attempt.

[YOUTUBE]cRORtrWAkK0[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks Dan your correct it was the booster. Great launch with a bunch of great people. Can't wait for the September launch will be a lot of fun. I did get the gps coordinates from the booster so I will have to see where they take me at the next launch and see the carnage of Calvin:)

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

GoPro pictures of my launches...

Attachments

• 8:16:14 - Broken Arrow XP - K531 Blue.png
    8:16:14 - Broken Arrow XP - K531 Blue.png
    247.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 8:16:14 - 4in. Lil Nuke - J472F .png
    8:16:14 - 4in. Lil Nuke - J472F .png
    339.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 8:16:14 - Jart - J340 Red.png
    8:16:14 - Jart - J340 Red.png
    329.5 KB · Views: 0