CTI O8000 assembly question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Hi, I have a question in regards to the CTI O8000: Does it have a 'smoke tracking' system?

I'm reviewing a student paper, and they intend to use the O8000, and they talk about a smoke device / system at the top of the motor, like an Estes BP motor. I don't believe APCL Reloads have such a thing; they burn from the top down..

Am I uneducated on the CTI 150mm motors (quite likely!), or are they making an assumption?

Most composite motors have a smoke grain, even those that are plugged. But I'm not sure about the O8000.

And most composite motors burn from the core out. None of them from the top down as far as I know.

Based on videos I’ve seen, I’m inclined to say yes they do have a tracking smoke grain at the top of the motor, as do most APCP reloads. It won’t have any functionality other than being visible.

Here’s an example of the O8000 in action

see attached..

Also confirm that the rocket is setup to take the 150mm motor...it's an oddball size for our type of rockets.

I would also recommend the team to ask the onsite motor vendor for help putting that motor together.
(It looks like they may have changed the case size from way back when flew an O5100 in a 2 stage booster)

Tony

Attachments

• Pro150_Instructions_V1.1.pdf
    232 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Super thanks guys! (And a speedy response!!)

And I now stand a bit more knowledgeable.

Yes, I should have mentioned burning from the core out. But I said 'from the top' as most igniters are inserted to the top of the motor grains. I wasn't sure there this sat in the stack of grains. (But I see it sits up top..) I am versed in AT up to 54mm. I have not yet come across a smoke grain in any reloadable motor so far. I guess this is something to look forward to!

@tfish I tried to find this on the CTI website, exactly want I wanted to read before posting!

again, thanks guys!

I always assumed the delay grain *was* the smoke grain in AT hardware.

Sandy.
You are correct. Even with a closed AT forward bulkhead what he is referring to as a delay gran is used. Most people do not even use motor deployment on 54.

It's plain to see that the team in question has no business using this powerful of motor. AM I really the only one with concerns?

I try not to disappoint. But seriously educate me. I don't know anything other than first impressions.

Jim, do you know anything about the student initiative events? usually sponsored by NASA, Spaceport America, various collegial & university campuses?

These are [international] competitions which students (universities generally) get to design & build a rocket (and payload!) to meet certain challenges. It's a chance for these student to put forth all they've learnt & work together as a team, over multiple disciplines.

But sadly, these event lack mentors. Sure, they have the professors, and other academics to help push them along. but all teams lack actual rocket experience. Since Spaceport linked up with TRA, TRA asked that there be more involvement from the rocket community (from what I understand). It is recognized that these student are essentially doing an L3 attempt as their first real foray into rocketry, so some actual experience is needed / wanted / required.. And where do you get a pool of advanced / experienced rocketeers?!?

Some of these teams are also designing & building their own liquid engines.. Paraffin & nitrous typically, but there are some unique advancements..

This particular team I'm judging / helping / mentoring (loosely) is in the 'basic' category, and they have an ambitious goal of 60,000ft, hence the O8000. Can this team do it? Very likely. They have ranked in the top percentile over the years at Spaceport & IREC competitions.. (Not bad for a French technical university that has barely been around for the past 2 or 3 decades in downtown Montreal - Montreal fields abut 5 teams to Spaceport..)

I may be a lowly NAR L2, but I am trying to help our future engineers & help boost a rocket industry in Canada.. I may not know much,. but I do know when & where to ask a question, and that this is something I need / want to know..

And Jim, I can say the same about your posts: first impressions.. ;D

https://clubrockets.ca/
https://spaceportamericacup.com/https://www.soundingrocket.org/what-is-irec.htmlhttps://www.nasa.gov/stem/studentlaunch/home/index.htmlhttp://www.launchcanada.org/

Thanks for the education. I really thought this was a team of newbies that had no experience. You know what they say about assuming. With my unwanted early retirement I have loads of time on my hands. How would I get involved with something like this?

I just looked at the 2nd Progress report for the team and it shows an O3400. As an additional FYI - this university has competed at the IREC/Cup for over a decade.

"For this year's competition, we decided to go with the same motor that we normally use, the Pro98 - 6 grains - O3400 motor. Since we did not obtain the 30 000 feet in 2019, we wanted to focus on the optimization of the rest of the airframe and masses before making a propulsion change in order to maximize our chances to get to 30 000 feet."

Paul, is this new motor (O-8000) for a different project? 60k' is not an option for the Spaceport America Cup.

hey Andy,

yeah, for Launch Canada.. I believe this attempt is solely for LC.. (I'm still new to all of this as well! :D )

If anybody (L3) is interested there are some overseas teams interested in getting Flyers of Record to be the signatory for their flights. I am already FoR for one team from Oz. If you are interested in becoming a FoR and attending Spaceport America Cup for a team please contact the ESRA team and let them know. The overseas teams would be very grateful for help with this. Alternatively contact me and I can steer you through to the relevant contact in the competition organisation.

https://spaceportamericacup.com/

Latest posts

Back