CTI N5800 Challenge - Prize claimed --- And new contest !

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeroen_at_CTI

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

We have a winner of the N5800 contest. Nic Lottering of Australia claimed his prize. His minimum diameter N5800 rocket flew to 51,238 ft and the record is on Tripoli's web site, see here. A video of Nic's flight can be found here:

[YOUTUBE]79sgWXSgdj0[/YOUTUBE]

Congratulations on this achievement, Nic! Two reloads are coming your way. And many thanks to everyone who participated in this contest. We all learned a tremendous amount from your efforts.

For everyone interesting in attempting to beat Nic's record we have decided to continue the contest with higher stakes! The winner will be the first to:

* Fly a minimum diameter 98mm rocket,
* With Pro98-6GXL C-STAR N5800 reload;
* To a minimum altitude of 70,000 ft;
* Make a full and safe recovery;
* Obtain the official TRA record for this flight;
* Flight before the end of 2015.

Prize: Complete Pro98 hardware set and two Pro98 reloads of your choice.

Jeroen

Last edited:
Congrats, Nic! That is not an easy motor to tame in a minimum diameter rocket. It has generated a lot of carnage.

-Kevin

Stunning flight, and I love seeing video with Black Sky. How many gees was it pulling off the pad? That did not look like a very long burn.

Congratulations, Nic! Excellent flight.

It's folks like you that help keep me going. I would like to learn how composites work in sync with each other, and in flight as well... But first, I want to push some of my own personal envelopes!

Last edited:
I must've missed the memo about the contest being extended past the end of 2012...

From this quote in the report, it sounds like there was no functional GPS onboard, so no record:

"The 900MHz Big Red Bee GPS unit was not completely functional prior to take-off and so it was of little use to us."

I'm guessing that's the only reason the BRB 900 MHz GPS was onboard (for TRA record purposes) since it probably is not trackable at 55,000 ft, and there was a BRB RDF beacon onboard.

Not my flight, this was Mike Passaretti's effort. I'm not sure if Mike is on TRF.

Congrats, Nic!

I would have been there to watch this in person had I not been flooded out from civilization the week prior.

Thank you all!

Mike Passaretti and I have been close friends for years, having met when he was living in Australia. It, in fact, was him that convinced (basically coerced! :) ) me into claiming the TRA record as I had not been too keen to do so originally. His flight in 2012 went to approx 56k', but a GPS failure meant that he couldn't claim the record, nor this prize. This, in my opinion, does not detract from the fact that he successfully flew to 56k'! As far as I'm concerned this record really belongs to him and I have pride in the mere fact that I did a minimum diameter N5800 that (a) survived and (b) made it past 50,000'. Accordingly, I'm sharing this prize with Mike by setting one of the reloads aside for his use at the "Thunda Down Unda" (see https://www.thunda.com.au ) in 2015.

Thank you to Jeroen and CTI for the competition and Australian Rocketry Pty Ltd for handling the motor logistics!

Regards,
Nic Lottering

Last edited:
Nic,

That's a very honorable way of thanking Mike by splitting the bounty with him. :clap:

Chris

Thank you all!

Mike Passaretti and I have been close friends for years, having met when he was living in Australia. It, in fact, was him that convinced (basically coerced! :) ) me into claiming the TRA record as I had not been too keen to do so originally. His flight in 2012 went to approx 56k', but a GPS failure meant that he couldn't claim the record, nor this prize. This, in my opinion, does not detract from the fact that he successfully flew to 56k'! As far as I'm concerned this record really belongs to him and I have pride in the mere fact that I did a minimum diameter N5800 that (a) survived and (b) made it past 50,000'. Accordingly, I'm sharing this prize with Mike by setting one of the reloads aside for his use at the "Thunda Down Unda" (see https://www.thunda.com.au ) in 2015.

Thank you to Jeroen and CTI for the competition and Australian Rocketry Pty Ltd for handling the motor logistics!

Regards,
Nic Lottering

Our local TRA TAP bought a M6400 V-Max , when I looked it up spotted the N10000 and its one second burn time - Holy Moley !

Will have to trek out of CA to see the magic .

Congrats on taming the N5800 and setting a new record !

Kenny

Way to go, that is one heck of an achievement. That right there is why I start HPR. Can't say I see myself making a beast that goes 70,000 feet but man, that would be one spectacular video :)

A huge, HUGE! congratulations to Nic!! This record and prize could not go to a better guy. If you haven't already, do take the time to flip through Nic's build threads. They really are a treasure trove of information and practical methods for building some really cool stuff.

Thank you Jeroen and CTI for recognizing this accomplishment and for presenting this new challenge. I have to ask though, what is the reasoning behind the TRA record requirement?

A huge, HUGE! congratulations to Nic!! This record and prize could not go to a better guy. If you haven't already, do take the time to flip through Nic's build threads. They really are a treasure trove of information and practical methods for building some really cool stuff.

Thank you Jeroen and CTI for recognizing this accomplishment and for presenting this new challenge. I have to ask though, what is the reasoning behind the TRA record requirement?

To get CTI's name in the books?

Congratulations, Nic. It was a fantastic effort, and the quality of the design and constrction was second to none. :)

Also good to see that a new challenge has been set. I have no doubt it will benefit the combined knowledge of the global rocketry community just as this has done.

Congrats both Nic and Mike.

Can't wait to see what poor rockets you subject to your hard earned N5800 prizes to at Thunder Down Under.

I have to ask though, what is the reasoning behind the TRA record requirement?

Mike, thanks for compiling such a detailed document about your rocket. It is a wealth of information for everyone.

The TRA record requirement was to have a third party verifying the claims. It also ensures that the flight took place within a certain set of rules, such as: no modified case hardware, minimum amount of metallic parts and flown at an official launch with proper waiver. That makes for a leveling playing field, so for example contestants would not be manufacturing their own motor hardware (yes, I was asked this).

Jeroen.

Mike, thanks for compiling such a detailed document about your rocket. It is a wealth of information for everyone.

The TRA record requirement was to have a third party verifying the claims. It also ensures that the flight took place within a certain set of rules, such as: no modified case hardware, minimum amount of metallic parts and flown at an official launch with proper waiver. That makes for a leveling playing field, so for example contestants would not be manufacturing their own motor hardware (yes, I was asked this).

Jeroen.

Thank you for your response. I understand that a 3rd party is needed to verify compliance. That makes a lot of sense. I just don't see the value in connecting the flight to the record requirements. Wouldn't using the TRA cert rules / TAP witness be more accommodating to the fliers while still verifying compliance? CTI could review the flight data to make a final determination.

Either way, I respect that this is CTI's contest and ultimately it's up to you guys how to run it. I do appreciate the feedback.

And by the way, 70,000 ft? Yea, I'm game! I plan to have "Optimize This" ready for BALLS 2014. We can talk about the record requirement some more after I recover my rocket :)

Thank you all!

Regards,
Nic Lottering

Congrats!
Very classy as well.
NikeMikey

Congrats! And I'm excited to see the entrants this time around! If I had any money left, I'd be right there in the mix!

And by the way, 70,000 ft? Yea, I'm game! I plan to have "Optimize This" ready for BALLS 2014. We can talk about the record requirement some more after I recover my rocket :)

Go for it Mike!

It is fantastic to watch such talented fliers pushing back the boundaries of HPR

Back