CTI Knock-off

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jqavins

Слава Україні
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I recently acquired two of what appear for all the world to be CTI 18 mm cases. But CTI doesn't make 18 mm. These have the same spun forward and threaded ends as CTI cases, have the same surface texture and color, but have no labels.

Does anyone know who might have made these? Or where I can get reloads, nozzles, and aft closures for them? (The lack of aft closures should have tipped me off. :facepalm: )

I recently acquired two of what appear for all the world to be CTI 18 mm cases. But CTI doesn't make 18 mm. These have the same spun forward and threaded ends as CTI cases, have the same surface texture and color, but have no labels.

Does anyone know who might have made these? Or where I can get reloads, nozzles, and aft closures for them? (The lack of aft closures should have tipped me off. :facepalm: )

Are you sure they are not 24mm?

Pics would help...
Yeah, sorry. I'll (try to remember to) post those later. I'm at work now and the cases are at home.

When I got the cases out of the traveling box-o'-parts I thought they were CTI. This morning (after getting to work) I went looking for reloads and discovered the quandary I'm in.
Are you sure they are not 24mm?
Pretty darn sure, but that's another thing I'll double check when I get home. Like all of us, I've handled enough 18 and 24 mm BP motors to know the difference on sight, but I (always) could be wrong.

No 6 grain. I looked at the Pro24 dimensions, and I'm certain that neither of my cases is 9 inches long. I can't swear that neither of them is 5¼.
1611845446774.png
Anyway, I'll measure them and take pictures when I get home, and settle the 24 mm question one way or the other.

Hmmm. Just checked the NAR list, and the only reloadable 18mm in the current list is the AT 18/20, which wouldn't get confused with at CTI case. Interested to see what the photos look like later.

-Hans

Most research cases are snap ring closers on both ends or threaded closers on both ends.
In fact, I'm not sure of any threaded 18mm research cases -- although if somebody was making 1.5g and 2g AT/RCS compatible I'd snap up a couple in a heartbeat.

Green Monkey made 13mm & 18mm research cases. AT 18mm grains fit the 18mm tubes. I stuffed 3 x d24 grains in the long one a few years back. I put it in an Estes Patriot. It took two days to find it. The kit also came with casting tubes. I still have the kits.

Green Monkey made 13mm & 18mm research cases. AT 18mm grains fit the 18mm tubes. I stuffed 3 x d24 grains in the long one a few years back. I put it in an Estes Patriot. It took two days to find it. The kit also came with casting tubes. I still have the kits.
GMA was snapring and anodized green. No way they could be confused with CTI or AT hardware.

I have a 13mm GMA set. Awesome hardware and tons of fun.

And spin induction and singing.
@Angie, I really think we need a groan smiley. Something that’s not as harsh as the eyeroll, but still shows our utter disappointment. It would get some really good use every time this forum goes into a pun spiral.

Latest posts

Back