CTI K300 Grain movement within inner sleeve?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

skookum42

Reaction score
I recently assembled a 54mm CTI K300 and noticed about .5 inches of play of the grain within the inner sleeve of the reload? The K300 consists of one large C grain, nozzle and forward 'plugged' enclosure. I checked and rechecked that the play was within the inner case and not my reusable outer case. Is this expected? Thanks...

Ken

skookum42

Reaction score
Ah Thanks! The more complete answer from said earlier thread is:

"There are no instructions that require the bonding of the K300 grain. It is however a C-slot grain that burns back to a crescent near the end. The grain could be spit towards the end of the grain, although we have never observed that and this is the first report that I read about this happening.

Some people have asked us if it was required to bond the grain in the liner. To those that are worried about anything happening (high-G flights), I suggested to apply a single bead of Gorilla glue opposite of the slot. Do not twist the grain in the liner, just slide it it. The K300 grain is short, to ensure it stays within the K impulse range. Make sure it is bonded upright, sitting on the nozzle - leaving the gap near the forward closure.

Jeroen."