CTI G33 Cato

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A few weekends ago at NSL I had a G33 (29mm/3G) cato on the pad, pretty much destroying the beefed-up #2157 Estes Saturn V that I had building for the past month. It was a rather unusual cato... it basically blew out the rolled-over forward lip of the 29mm case, ejecting two of the three grains (the bottom stayed in the liner) and the delay/ejection charge assembly (which had been drilled to 6 seconds from 9). The grains were basically unburned, however the paper casting liner of the upper grain was torn from being ejected, and the BP pellet was gone. The delay grain was unlit. The plastic liner was intact and stayed in the casing. I'm guessing that it's another case of overpressurization due to the BP pellet. Has anyone else see this with a CTI 29mm motor? Thanks!

I have not seen such nonsense. The CTI 29mm's have been pretty bullet proof and reliable for me but I have not flown any of the long burns or Mellows. Do you have any pics?

A few weekends ago at NSL I had a G33 (29mm/3G) cato on the pad, pretty much destroying the beefed-up #2157 Estes Saturn V that I had building for the past month. It was a rather unusual cato... it basically blew out the rolled-over forward lip of the 29mm case, ejecting two of the three grains (the bottom stayed in the liner) and the delay/ejection charge assembly (which had been drilled to 6 seconds from 9). The grains were basically unburned, however the paper casting liner of the upper grain was torn from being ejected, and the BP pellet was gone. The delay grain was unlit. The plastic liner was intact and stayed in the casing. I'm guessing that it's another case of overpressurization due to the BP pellet. Has anyone else see this with a CTI 29mm motor? Thanks!

I have only heard of it in the Pro38 1 and 2 grain motors, but that doesn’t mean it is not possible.
Please be sure to file a MESS report. Motorcato.org

Yes, I filed a MESS report. Here's a picture of the remains... the Saturn is in the background for effect.

IMG_2746.png

Back