CTI Discussion Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
right now only option is K1499 aerotech as a crossload - would love something not as hot and avoid having to step down to 54M 4G loads. simpler if we did not have to step down

right now only option is K1499 aerotech as a crossload - would love something not as hot and avoid having to step down to 54M 4G loads. simpler if we did not have to step down

I've mentioned this to Brand A several times . I would love to see a White Thunder load or a Vmax

I'd love some 1 grain loads for 75mm. As much as I'd love to see some Vmax, I know I won't.

Hi Bob,
I posted this in high power and it was recommended that I post here as well.
I was flying with our club yesterday and flew a K650 pink in a 6g case with 1 spacer. KeithLDragoPinkMotor.JPG
When I was cleaning the case after the launch I noticed a bulge in the case near where the forward closure is. 20201025_203209.jpg20201025_203435.jpg
I did use a ring of 30 min epoxy on the forward closure.
Here are some pictures of the liner and the forward closure20201025_203605.jpg20201026_210528.jpg20201025_203541.jpg
This was only the second time this case was used. I will be filing a warranty claim on the case.
I hope a solution to this issue can be found as I really like the product.
Thank you for you time, and thank you for being on the forum.

Sorry if this has already been covered, but CTI should have a system for processing warranty claims that is disclosed and respond to all new claims immediately.

For example, once a claim has been filed, CTI should reach out to the person and let them know they have received a claim with a case number for reference, what the claim covers (for example a case, closure, and the motor), and who to contact for followup. The number of days a case is under investigation and being processed, start to finish, should be known and available to who ever filed the claim.
CTI should endeavor to reduce the number of days it takes to close a claim. If a claim is being held up for investigation, there should be a reason why the claim is being held up and anything additional the person needs to do to help process the claim.

The long times being experienced by many people without hearing anything affects the trust people have in CTI and their products. And, it's not making it better for the dealers as well.

The long times being experienced by many people without hearing anything affects the trust people have in CTI and their products. And, it's not making it better for the dealers as well.

1++

I think this is, perhaps, the biggest challenge to CTI in the hobby market right now.
I'd like to get an acknowledgement of the claim receipt, and notification when it is shipped to the dealer, along with the above suggested case # and contact point for the time in-between.

I'm pretty sure I've sent the claim form to CTI by email as well as a paper copy through the dealer for each warranty request I've made. I understand that having the dealer in the loop might be necessary for your distribution model, but it does complicate keeping the end consumer / warranty requester informed. But I can imagine a dual-workflow.

Last edited:
Just got word from Wildman, CTI is replacing a Gen 2 98 6xl casing that I flew an O3400 IMAX at Airfest on Sept. 1, 2019. It sustained the same damage described above, small bubble 1.5 inches from the top.
Not sure if this is because of the email I sent last Sunday as a reminder, or if this thread is stirring stuff up at CTI. I can't say that I've lost faith in CTI, but I probably won't be flying another O3400 motor anytime soon.
At our last launch, Sharon and I flew 6 CTI motors, 3 H's, 1 K and two L's. We currently have over 100 more CTI motors in stock, from 24mm to 75mm.

I agree that there should be tracking on warranty claims, I could have kept track of mine much better with an email reference and contact info. from all involved. I also think that you should be able to present damaged hardware to any CTI vendor and have them replace it regardless of who sold it to you, which is not the case now. I am glad that this claim has finally been addressed, and will post up when I get the replacement.
I also think that a stepped seal disk with an O-ring would reduce or eliminate the burn through/bubble problem, but can't figure out how that would work with the 38/54mm casings.

Just got word from Wildman, CTI is replacing a Gen 2 98 6xl casing that I flew an O3400 IMAX at Airfest on Sept. 1, 2019. It sustained the same damage described above, small bubble 1.5 inches from the top.
Did you file a claim of some sort with Chris Short? I saw him over the weekend & he said he had some warranty stuff for you too.

This is a CTI discussion thread, but Aerotech has not been much better when I've made warranty claims in the past. Years ago, my vendor (What's Up Hobbies) gave me a motor and case and new materials including things like an altimeter and parachute because the manufacturer was not responding.
There are just a couple suppliers so I think they get away with dragging their feet when it comes to warranties. If there were more choices, this kind of thing would not 'fly'.

This is a CTI discussion thread, but Aerotech has not been much better when I've made warranty claims in the past.
I haven't had any issues with Aerotech warranty replacement, it's always been within a couple of months, sometimes faster, interacting directly with Karl at AT. I'm still waiting for a CTI Pro54-6XL case replacement from a failure at BALLS 2019.

Did you file a claim of some sort with Chris Short? I saw him over the weekend & he said he had some warranty stuff for you too.

No, we bought the O3400 from Wildman, and filed our claim with him. I think we still have a 54 6 grain casing with Chris, but I don't remember if we filled out the form with him. He usually just trades my bad casings with his stock. We would have taken care of this if we had gone to Airfest this year, but Covid restrictions prevented us from attending.
I still have the casing in a motor packing tube, I think it was a K750 that bubbled the case. It doesn't feel right to ask for another motor when the original performs optimally. But a damaged case can't be reused, and should be replaced. If we were going to launches every month with Chris or Tim as the vendor, this wouldn't have been so delayed. We have AMW/Pro-X here now, and they have EVERYTHING in stock. They even started carrying AT motors!

Hi Bob,
I posted this in high power and it was recommended that I post here as well.
I was flying with our club yesterday and flew a K650 pink in a 6g case with 1 spacer. View attachment 436239
When I was cleaning the case after the launch I noticed a bulge in the case near where the forward closure is. View attachment 436240View attachment 436241
I did use a ring of 30 min epoxy on the forward closure.
Here are some pictures of the liner and the forward closureView attachment 436242View attachment 436243View attachment 436245
This was only the second time this case was used. I will be filing a warranty claim on the case.
I hope a solution to this issue can be found as I really like the product.
Thank you for you time, and thank you for being on the forum.
Sorry about the case, we're working on a solution for the P54 forward closure issue.

Last edited:
Interesting. I guess they took down the AT wind chimes.

Haven't seen them for a while now, and I think Sharon and I may have influenced them somewhat with our Dark Matter addiction....
The CTI warranty is partly my fault too, I tend to forget negative events, and didn't follow up until I ran across that damaged casing while digging through a bunch rocket stuff recently.

The CTI warranty is partly my fault too...
Nice of you to say, Wayne, but the fact is, CTI warranty replacement has been subpar for years. I bought a CTI L1030 reload at BALLS 2019 from AMW, flew it, bubbled the case, submitted the warranty form to AMW as soon as I got home, and now have gone over a year with no replacement case and no status. That sucks. In my experience, AT warranty replacement, dealing directly with them and not going through a dealer, is faster and has much better feedback. CTI had better improve or they will lose much of my business -- and I'm not the only one in my club that feels the same.

I think one of the problems is the time it takes to process a warranty, we'll see if that can be streamlined.

You are right Mike, but I'm being optimistic about CTI's response above. We now have an active participant in our forum, and since Bob started this thread LESS THAN A MONTH AGO, there have been 167 posts and SIX THOUSAND views.

You gotta think that they are paying attention to what we post here.
Look at the AT thread, there have been a LOT of comments there that were acted on by them, and we are all benefitting from that. Let's hope that this thread stays positive and we get similar results.

I’ve got a 38mm J150 Mellow that’s having issues getting into the motor case. I’ve had the motor for maybe three or four years now and am only getting around to getting it together for a flight this winter. However when I opened it up, I noticed the forward end of the liner was all scratched up, almost like someone tried to get it into a case before, but to no avail. It goes about an inch and a half or so into the case before I can’t get it to go anymore. Any ideas on what I should do about this?

Attachments

• 24420F84-55A0-4E06-BBB0-4631483D65BD.jpeg
    24420F84-55A0-4E06-BBB0-4631483D65BD.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 9D85914B-7672-47EF-A581-647A9C831B20.jpeg
    9D85914B-7672-47EF-A581-647A9C831B20.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 59
  • ACC5D874-F665-4AE9-AC53-BA569548C3E6.jpeg
    ACC5D874-F665-4AE9-AC53-BA569548C3E6.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 48
I’ve got a 38mm J150 Mellow that’s having issues getting into the motor case. I’ve had the motor for maybe three or four years now and am only getting around to getting it together for a flight this winter. However when I opened it up, I noticed the forward end of the liner was all scratched up, almost like someone tried to get it into a case before, but to no avail. It goes about an inch and a half or so into the case before I can’t get it to go anymore. Any ideas on what I should do about this?
It looks sanded.

Liner looks out of spec, fairly rare to see. Could you measure the liner thickness? It should be .025 - .030". We'll have to send you another liner if it won't fit.
PM me as to who your dealer is.

Flying an I800 VMAX tomorrow in a 65 ounce rocket. Will report the results.
That sounds like a lot of fun. I wish I could still get my hands on one. I have an 8oz. rocket that would just disappear with it.

Flying an I800 VMAX tomorrow in a 65 ounce rocket. Will report the results.

Do tell. I tried to fly an I800 once and it burst into flames on the launch pad.

Do tell. I tried to fly an I800 once and it burst into flames on the launch pad.

Hmmmmm.

I just realized that I need electronic deployment - so I WON'T be flying it this weekend.

Back