Cti 54mm 6g case issue.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox_2112

Reaction score
Unsure how to proceed. Was flying with our club yesterday. Had a great flight on a K650 pink.KeithLDragoPinkMotor.JPG
Was cleaning up the case and noticed a swollen spot roughly around the area of the forward closure20201025_203209.jpg20201025_203435.jpg
I used the 6g case with 1 spacer. Only the second time using this case. I did epoxy the forward closure as has been mention on the forum. I have attached some thumbnails of the liner and closure.20201025_203636.jpg20201025_203541.jpg20201025_203605.jpg
My question is should I use this case again or can it be replaced under warranty?
Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

You question is easy to answer. You should not use the case again and you should be able to get it replaced under warranty. You should also be very happy that you still have a rocket.

There is a thread that CTI is monitoring in the propulsion section and you might post your recent experience there. CTI is looking at this and more data will help them. It might be helpful if you could clean the debris from around the closure and post another picture that might show more clearly the area that failed. Was this a motor with the O-ring that goes into the top of the liner?

Jim

Jim,
Thank you for your reply. As best as I know there was not an o-ring in the top of the liner.
Here is a better picture of the forward closure20201026_210528.jpg
I will also post this on the CTI thread.
Thank you.

A few people have been having troubles with the forward closure leaking. I have taken to using epoxy to glue the forward closure into the liners whenever I fly the 54mm motors. I use 30min BSI if I do it on the day or West Systems if I prep beforehand. Fairly common practice I believe.

That was part of the issue. I did use 30 min epoxy around the forward closure. If I had not, there would not be a rocket to show for it.

Unfortunately it’s a problem with CTI 54mm motors and epoxy doesn’t always prevent failure.

Unfortunately it’s a problem with CTI 54mm motors and epoxy doesn’t always prevent failure.

Sadly it's also not uncommon in their 38mm loads, too. Same issue, high speed gas cut leaks around the o ring in the forward closure, often cutting through the plastic liner to the case, or simple blow outs bulging the forward end of the case.

I've experienced a few, as have others, to the point where the HIGHLY UNOFFICIAL field recommendation has become 'glue 'em all' in the 38s and 54s, it seems........and that's AFTER checking the "forward closure wrong plastic recall" and the "modify the forward initiator pellet" bulletin!

Shouldn't have to do that, and I'm losing faith in CTI. Shame, too, since I have a HUGE investment in CTI cases and reloads. But I just can't keep sacrificing $500+ rockets on a hope that CTI did everything right...this time!

I'll also point out that the last two warranty claims that I put in for CTI failures, my vendor filled my claim from his inventory..........but it took CTI OVER a year to make him whole.

Last edited:
Sadly it's also not uncommon in their 38mm loads, too. Same issue, high speed gas cut leaks around the o ring in the forward closure, often cutting through the plastic liner to the case, or simple blow outs bulging the forward end of the case.

I've experienced a few, as have others, to the point where the HIGHLY UNOFFICIAL field recommendation has become 'glue 'em all' in the 38s and 54s, it seems........and that's AFTER checking the "forward closure wrong plastic recall" and the "modify the forward initiator pellet" bulletin!

Shouldn't have to do that, and I'm losing faith in CTI. Shame, too, since I have a HUGE investment in CTI cases and reloads. But I just can't keep sacrificing $500+ rockets on a hope that CTI did everything right...this time!

I'll also point out that the last two warranty claims that I put in for CTI failures, my vendor filled my claim from his inventory..........but it took CTI OVER a year to make him whole.
Some dealers won't take stock from their inventories anymore for a warranty issue. I don't blame them its money out of their pockets. But if you have a truck still under a warranty your dealer fixes it and gets paid by manufacturer. It's just not right for the consumer to have to deal directly with the manufacturer to get things replaced.

Some dealers won't take stock from their inventories anymore for a warranty issue. I don't blame them its money out of their pockets. But if you have a truck still under a warranty your dealer fixes it and gets paid by manufacturer. It's just not right for the consumer to have to deal directly with the manufacturer to get things replaced.
I understand that completely. And it's not right that it takes a year+ to be made whole, either, for anyone in the food chain, never mind the total and complete lack of communication along the way.

I understand that completely. And it's not right that it takes a year+ to be made whole, either, for anyone in the food chain, never mind the total and complete lack of communication along the way.
You are 100% correct. I have a CTI 1 grain 38 claim to put in. Wondering if it's worth trying. I had a AT DMS claim 1st week in Oct. It already has been shipped to dealer.

With my last CTI failure of a 38mm 2gn I didn't even bother since the reload failed and the rocket was damaged but the case was undamaged. I'm sick of putting my vendors out of pocket.

With my last CTI failure of a 38mm 2gn I didn't even bother since the reload failed and the rocket was damaged but the case was undamaged. I'm sick of putting my vendors out of pocket.
My rocket survived with no damage. Case is mushroomed. Maybe I will give Loki 38/120 a try. They have a good number of no hazmat fee motors.

Back