CTI 38mm motor won't fit in case

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what we pay for reloads, we should not have to go through all the screwing around to fly them. I bet the commercial (non hobby)/ military motors they make don't have any problems. I guess QC is at a much lower level for us hobbyists.
If you buy 10x the QA you too can have government pricing.

I still think the problem is with the case ID. I have some older cases where reloads slid in very easy and in same size case but newer same reload slids in much tighter.

If you buy 10x the QA you too can have government pricing.

If we are paying more per Ns the least one would expect is for a manufacturer to be able to make sure a tube fits into a tube. CTI isn't the only one with that problem. Sanding phenolic liners is not fun.

Not if you use electricity like I do. I put them on my belt sander. Aerotech 38mm liners are notorious for not fitting.

That's why you don't assemble motors at a launch. Yes, I know circumstances may dictate differently.

I don't assemble motors at the launch site. To many distractions.
I prefer to prep my rockets the day before launch. Motors, electronics, etc...

I like to be able to set the rocket on the rod/rail, arm electronics if necessary, install motor starter, then wait for count-down :D.

If a motor assembly, or any other part of rocket prep, does not go as planned, there is time to correct the issue or scrub the launch for that rocket.

Edit:
Any issue with any commercial motor is immediately reported to vendor or manufacturer along with a MESS report, whether it is single use, reload, or other. Feedback for quality control is essential for this hobby.

Last edited:
Back