CSXT, S Class Engine, and the Karman Line

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OverlordvI

Reaction score
I was reading the other day that the CSXT (privately-funded space shot 72 miles into the air) used a privately built S class engine. I think that is something like 50,000 N of force. They launched their 770 pound, 21 foot tall craft 72 miles into the air and passed the Karman line.

I have a few questions for the learned rocket scientist here:

1) Can someone give me an equation I can understand that will help me figure out approximately how much force I would have to generate to lift a body of mass X a total distance of Y into the air? Something that I can do in my head is preferable - I know I won't be taking much air resistance, changes in Cp as I approach Mach, etc. into account.

2) Is there anyone interested or working towards repeating the CSXT attempt?

3) CSXT was able to launch their rocket as an 'amateur' class rocket, even though their motor size clearly exceeded the maximum 'N' size rec of TRA. I have read elsewhere that the current standard for a large orbital-type launch requires a minimum classification of 'Experimental' - can anyone shed some light on the procedures and regulations?

Thanks -

Sapan

3) CSXT was able to launch their rocket as an 'amateur' class rocket, even though their motor size clearly exceeded the maximum 'N' size rec of TRA. I have read elsewhere that the current standard for a large orbital-type launch requires a minimum classification of 'Experimental' - can anyone shed some light on the procedures and regulations?

Thanks -

Sapan

This is false. 'N' is not the max for TRA. 40,960Ns is the max before you need to file a class 3 packet to TRA/FAA. But its still within TRA as long as their policies are followed.

Ben

Can someone give me an equation I can understand that will help me figure out approximately how much force I would have to generate to lift a body of mass X a total distance of Y into the air? Something that I can do in my head is preferable - I know I won't be taking much air resistance, changes in Cp as I approach Mach, etc. into account.

Clicky.

also, i think the term "amateur" meant that the project was not completed by an actual rocket/missile company, seeing as all of these people had other jobs to go back to :)

I was reading the other day that the CSXT (privately-funded space shot 72 miles into the air) used a privately built S class engine. I think that is something like 50,000 N of force. They launched their 770 pound, 21 foot tall craft 72 miles into the air and passed the Karman line.

I have a few questions for the learned rocket scientist here:

1) Can someone give me an equation I can understand that will help me figure out approximately how much force I would have to generate to lift a body of mass X a total distance of Y into the air? Something that I can do in my head is preferable - I know I won't be taking much air resistance, changes in Cp as I approach Mach, etc. into account.

Thanks -

Sapan
You need a 6 DOF simulation package to accurately determine the altitude since these flights can not be vertical, the earth rotates and has curvature.

CSXT and the current SugarShot-2-Space Program https://www.sugarshot.org are not TRA launches so TRA rules and NFPA 1127 do not apply.

They are "experimental" launches and need to conform to all FAA developmental reusable suborbital rocket requirements to obtain a FAA Experimental Launch Permit.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ast/licenses_permits/sub_orbital_rockets/

Way beyond hobby rocket FAA waiver requirements and costs. The CSXT program cost over $500,000 and the cost of SugarShot is not fully defined but will certainly hit 6 figures. Commercial sponsorship is a must.

Bob Krech, Safety Lead, SugarShot-2-Space

1.) A force greater than X*g

2.) This time with data

also, i think the term "amateur" meant that the project was not completed by an actual rocket/missile company, seeing as all of these people had other jobs to go back to :)

For CSXT, the motor was made by guys from a company that makes rocket motors.

And amateur simply means they didn't get paid to do it....

Bob

not necessarily. they had to pay their suppliers and such. it's more explaining that it was people not in the aerospace industry, and not done for any other purpose than to say, we did it :O

not necessarily. they had to pay their suppliers and such. it's more explaining that it was people not in the aerospace industry, and not done for any other purpose than to say, we did it :O
Unless AP and aluminim grows on trees, some one has to buy it...

I'm talking about the numerous aerospace professionals participating in these programs who are volunteering their time and expertise.

Bob

Last edited:
Unless AP and aluminim grows on trees, some has to buy it...

I'm talking about the numerous aerospace professionals participating in these programs who are volunteering their time and expertise.

Bob

ah, that makes more sense lol, thanks for the clarification :)

Back