CSXT made it!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HAM radio?!?!

I believe that ham was powered by an "S" class motor...an S55,000.

CSXT rocks!

So THAT'S why there was a smaller turnout at Hamvention this weekend...lol

Loopy

Originally posted by Loopy
So THAT'S why there was a smaller turnout at Hamvention this weekend...lol

Loopy

Any idea of how many? My second year in a row that I missed it. Bke accident last year. LD our launch this year. Next year maybe.

Al

Originally posted by als57
Any idea of how many? My second year in a row that I missed it. Bke accident last year. LD our launch this year. Next year maybe.

Al

No idea. All I know is that it took forever to get my son to pre-school on Friday because of the traffic around Hara arena...lol It looked like a pretty big crowd, as usual.

BTW, this just in from Derek Deville:

HOT NEWS - The payload has been recovered and the data analyzed. It verifies just over 77 miles max altitude.
Anything plastic touching the inside skin of the nose cone was melted from the heat. The stickers were all gone but the anodizing held up. The nose cone tip was damaged on impact so ablation effects couldn't be determined.

The electronics were all in great shape. Weightless for over 7 minutes.

Now my original post that I was writing...

Korey and I were there to share in this wonderful experience. The launch was flawless. The team assembled by Ky and led by Jerry Larson was running like a well oiled machine. The base camp included the GoFast bus and GoFast helicopter, there for search and rescue, along with a significant array of ground station electronics and antennas. I am confident that the data will
be retrieved and will validate the rockets travels into space. It was a real privilege to be part of the team and we extend our thanks and congratulations to all involved.

Now a little bit about our involvement with the team. We are newest members of the CSXT team joining only six months ago. Since that time, in collaboration with Ky and Jerry, we have designed, developed, and built the largest amateur rocket motor ever. The solid propellant motor contained a derivation of the propellant that I have used for my O and P motors for the
past few years. The motor is designated as an S-50000 containing 435 lbs of AP based propellant configured in a monolithic case-bonded grain with a central fin-o-cyl core with a nearly neutral thrust profile. The case was aluminum 6061 with an OD of 10" and 175" long. The end closures were retained with two rows of radial bolts. The nozzle was created from a new process using a combination of graphite, carbon fiber, and ablative materials and featured a bell shaped exit cone. A number of static tests were performed on 3" and 6" hardware to characterize the propellant. A full scale static firing revealed issues with the motors end closures that were corrected for the flight motor. Chuck Rogers assisted in designing the test configurations and in addressing issues such as erosive burning and nozzle losses. The propellant, known as D8, in 6" P-motor sub-scale testing had a delivered Isp of 222.6 seconds. This results in a final minimum delivered total impulse of 96,831 lb-sec. We believe that the flight motor should have had a slightly higher delivered Isp due to altitude effects and delivered just over 100,000 lb-sec.

Video of the launch is at https://www.hybrids.com/video/csxt_flight.mpg

Derek Deville
Korey Kline

I also heard that they launched some souvenirs from Bruno's. I bet those'll be on display pretty soon. Oh, and check out the video... it is WAY COOL!

Holy crap! That thing went up like a laser! I love the delay between the visual and the audio report. And listening to that thing just keep firing and firing and firing. Man, that's awesome! I wonder how far away they were?

Loopy

Latest posts

Back