Crossload Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theory

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Can a CTI L910 be loaded into an Aerotech 75-2560 case? If so, do I need any additional pieces?

I know there is a good list of AT motors that can be used in CTI cases, and even a video on how to do it with a 3 grain L, just don't see much on going in the other direction.

That CTI document is old... most 75/98mm AT loads are certified in CTI hardware, and have been for some time (it says that AT hasn't certified any crossloads). I'm guessing that if an AT -ST will crossload into a CTI case, then a C-Star would work in an AT case. The AT crossload matrix doesn't have any -ST loads, though, so it's a bit of a crapshoot... since you're doing EX anyway, there's only one way to know for sure... give it a try, and hope it doesn't destroy your hardware and/or rocket.

give it a try, and hope it doesn't destroy your hardware and/or rocket.
absolutely looking for more than that

believe this could go together like a standard AT load, seal disk and all, just want to be sure it actually fits. sounds like it would as other 2 grain 75mm loads work. would assume they all use the same liner and a similar configuration.

CTI and AT 75mm reloads and cases are the same internal dimensions.
Each uses a different approach in how the orings work.
Each reload and case may be a different length.
Each of the above can be over come knowing how each one works, how to properly alter grain geometry and a good understanding of HPR design and principles.

The above would make this a Resesrch motor. To be flown by a TRA L2 flier at a TRA event.

Tony

Each of the above can be over come knowing how each one works, how to properly alter grain geometry and a good understanding of HPR design and principles.
This ^^^!!!

Another way to look at this is: if you have to ask, you might not have enough background knowledge.
But, in working through the problem you’ll gain knowledge for future research activities.

If loading CTI 75mm loads in AT hardware, always use the AT forward seal disc with an oring. I’ve had 100% success loading cases on this manner.
FWIW, I’ve had to leave out some spacer orings to get the seal disc to fit. Motors always performed nominally.
YMMV.

A more interesting question for me is: if I own a complete set of Aerotech hardware, which CTI cases would I need to buy in order to use all the 38mm, 54mm, 75mm and 98mm reloads from both companies?

It looks like I would need:
CTI 38mm - full set
CTI 54mm - full set
CTI 75mm - 6GXL
CTI 98mm - 6GXL ( I am not planning to use any 1G loads)

Are there any 75mm 2G/3G/4G/5G/6G or 98mm 2G/3G/4G/5G/6G CTI reloads that do not fit in Aerotech hardware that would necessitate purchasing CTI hardware in those sizes?

What about that M3700WT or something like that that needs a short spacer that's specific to that load? Can you use that in the 75 6XL case with the right spacer set?

A more interesting question for me is: if I own a complete set of Aerotech hardware, which CTI cases would I need to buy in order to use all the 38mm, 54mm, 75mm and 98mm reloads from both companies?

CTI 38mm - full set
CTI 54mm - full set
CTI 75mm - 6GXL

Are there any 75mm 2G/3G/4G/5G/6G or 98mm 2G/3G/4G/5G/6G CTI reloads that do not fit in Aerotech hardware that would necessitate purchasing CTI hardware in those sizes?
Correct except the m3700

CTI 38mm - full set
CTI 54mm - full set
CTI 75mm - 6GXL

I believe there are some 6g loads that also use the XL nozzle which won’t work in an aerotech case.

Awesome, thanks for responses, I ordered all the hardware above from Tim today, so I should be good for all reloads except the M3700 - I can live with that :)

You could probably fly the M3700 and 6 grain motors with the XL nozzle with the appropriate spacers and the 6XL case.

Latest posts

Back